Round Bottom Plane question
Hi everyone. I am thinking about building mahogany end tables from a locally sourced slab. I'd like to make coopered leg assemblies and need a round bottom plane to smooth the convex side of same. Question: how would one go about making such a plane with the appropriately radiused bottom? Advise on where to start? Source for iron? Hock or other?

Thanks
Bruce Pottorff
You say "round bottom," and then refer to the convex parts of the legs; I'm a bit confused, but I'll assume you do mean convex rather than concave.

Why make?  Why not seek out an appropriate hollow plane?

Or use the traditional method of planing ever smaller flats on the work and then using a scraper to finesse out the remaining ridges?
My bad...I meant concave. I have not had any luck finding a round bottom with the larger radius I require. Are there any current manufacturers of such planes?
(04-26-2018, 01:48 PM)Blockplane Wrote: My bad...I meant concave. I have not had any luck finding a round bottom with the larger radius I require. Are there any current manufacturers of such planes?

I'm about 99% sure you mean a plane that is curved front to back, not side to side. My answer holds for both, though side to side curvature is a bit more difficult:

Have you considered making one? Laminated wood planes are not terribly hard to make. They will cost you 50 bucks for a Hock iron, a few bucks for some hard, stable wood for the plane body, cross-pin, and wedge, and some time and maybe a little learning. David Finck's book is the best resource I know of to learn how. 

The difference between making a flat-bottom plane and a rocker-body plane (I think that's what you want) is that near the end of the build, you cut a curve on the plane bottom, and fair it with hand planes, sanders, or whatever you like. If you don't have a bandsaw for the initial shaping, I'm sure a bow saw would work if you are adept with one. You will want to be sure that the final product has the bottom perpendicular to the sides. Again, not the hardest thing ever, but it might take some patience.

Yes, you can also buy one. One advantageof making your own is that you can define your own curvature.

Good luck! Post your solution.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Ah.  OK.  I've got a transition plane that someone made into a round bottom plane; I presume s/he just drew the radius on each end and then planed/scraped/sanded it to shape before inserting the iron and tracing the shape.

Woodie jack and straight-sided smoothers seem to run $10-15 on eBay.  Might be a starting point for a make-your-own.
Sounds like you might be looking for a compass plane. If so, you might get lucky posting a WTB down in SnS.

Aram's suggestion is sound, but he is also an experienced plane maker and it might be cheaper to buy a used plane than to buy the floats and other tools to ease the challenge of making a plane.

An additional option would be to do the rough shaping with a good half-round rasp and then fine tune it with a file or round-bottom spokeshave.

I look forward to seeing your progress.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(04-26-2018, 02:30 PM)iclark Wrote:  it might be cheaper to buy a used plane than to buy the floats and other tools to ease the challenge of making a plane.

Doh! Duh. Yes.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
If the radius runs toe to heel that would be called a compass plane. These are available in both metal and wooden versions.
It sounds like your looking for either a Stanley #20 or a Stanley #113. They both have an adjustable curved sole. I use the 113 and it's worked well for me.
Thanks for all the responses. I am looking to make a plane with a sole curved side to side. Hock's page I see had plans for sale for making a round bottom Krenov, and a radiused iron to match. I think I am up to the task, so I'll go that route. Worst case I figure is I have to make one, chuck it, then another. It's all good.