MDF or plywood?
Hello,

I am planing on making a few templates for the router table.

Would you recommend MDF or plywood for the most sturdy and durable template.

What thickness?
Peter

My "day job"
Depends on how many copies you intend on using it for. If it will be used extensively I'd go for 1/2" thick ply. MDF seems too soft for long term use.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
5mm luan works great for templates.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I would likely choose plywood, simply because I hate cutting MDF.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(04-26-2018, 01:12 PM)SteveS Wrote: Depends on how many copies you intend on using it for. If it will be used extensively I'd go for 1/2" thick ply. MDF seems too soft for long term use.

I  probably used three leg templates for near 200 dining chairs over the years.  MDF is easier to shape, in my experience.
I tend to use 1/2 birch plywood.  They do hold up for years.  I have some that at 15 years old which I use a lot.  It's light, easy to cut, and fairly cheap.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
1/4" MDF.  Uniform "grain" and much easier to shape.   

John
I've had good success with 1/4" tempered hardboard. Easy to shape and much more durable that MDF.
If you use plywood you have to deal with possible voids.
(04-26-2018, 01:12 PM)SteveS Wrote: Depends on how many copies you intend on using it for. If it will be used extensively I'd go for 1/2" thick ply. MDF seems too soft for long term use.

^^^This.  I use MDF, but I don't do production work.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(04-26-2018, 07:51 PM)wood-chips Wrote: I've had good success with 1/4" tempered hardboard. Easy to shape and much more durable that MDF.
If you use plywood you have to deal with possible voids.

What's tempered hardboard?
Peter

My "day job"