Price for 3/4" birch ply pre-finished two sides
The local lumber distributor quoted me $84.00 per sheet for 3/4" pre-finished on both sides, birch plywood.

They will cut it to sizes that fit in my car for $1.00 per rip (and they have nice sharp blades on their panel saw).

Is the $84.00 fair pricing?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-27-2018, 11:36 AM)Cooler Wrote: The local lumber distributor quoted me $84.00 per sheet for 3/4" pre-finished on both sides, birch plywood.

They will cut it to sizes that fit in my car for $1.00 per rip (and they have nice sharp blades on their panel saw).

https://www.menards.com/main/building-ma...908132.htm

This is what I use for prefinished.  Looks like birch.
WoodNET... the new safespace
$45 at Menards

https://www.menards.com/main/building-ma...908132.htm

Looks a lot better in person.
Comparing apples and oranges.  I've seen the stuff at Menards.  I wouldn't personally purchase it.  It's imported from China and has formaldehyde glue.  Who knows about VOC content in the finish itself.  My past experience with that stuff is the core is junk.  Delaminates easily.

You're probably getting quoted something like Columbia plywood which is low VOC, non-formaldehyde glue and usually a poplar core.

Just look up the SDS sheets on these materials.  It will tell you what you may or may not want to know.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
My dealer gets $88/sheet retail for the 2 side version, and that's for the Columbia Forest Products prefinished Maple, they don't carry the birch. So i'd say if it's a good quality ply, that's about the going rate. I suspect you don't have a Menard's handy (?), they are a little cheaper, but their stuff isn't up to CFP standards (IMHO). Why 2 side? Just getting the interior side prefinished would be enough, it would seem.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-27-2018, 11:36 AM)Cooler Wrote: The local lumber distributor quoted me $84.00 per sheet for 3/4" pre-finished on both sides, birch plywood.

Johnsons Workbench

3/4" 18mm White Birch UV Coated-2-Sides C2
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I bought some prefinished birch from a local dealer and don't remember how much can tell you I didn't care for it.  Seemed like you can see right through the veneer layer.  I will say $84 does seem high for Chinese imported ply assuming that's what it is, customer just told me the other day he's paying $25 but buying pretty good volume.
(04-27-2018, 12:10 PM)fredhargis Wrote: My dealer gets $88/sheet retail for the 2 side version, and that's for the Columbia Forest Products prefinished Maple, they don't carry the birch. So i'd say if it's a good quality ply, that's about the going rate. I suspect you don't have a Menard's handy (?), they are a little cheaper, but their stuff isn't up to CFP standards (IMHO). Why 2 side? Just getting the interior side prefinished would be enough, it would seem.
They offered me maple or birch; same price.  They carry 17  different species of plywood (in stock) but only maple and birch pre-finished.  But in all thicknesses.  This is not a Menards, Home Depot or Lowes.  

I just wanted to check to see if this was a fair price.  

Thanks for the replies.  

I need a pickup truck so I can carry  full sheets home.  The lumber yard is just 4 miles from my place of work, but 63 miles home.  So I don't want to drive at 70 mph with plywood on the roof.  I have to get it cut so it will fit inside.  I can max out at 39" x 70" or 14" x 8 feet.  I probably can make that work.
You are all getting good pricing.  I was quoted almost $150/sheet for Columbia 3/4" maple prefinished two sides.  

John

Cooler, I would confirm the accuracy of the parts before you commit to having them cut it for you. Ripping to width is one thing. Ripping all the parts to the exact width you want, and straight and w/o chipout is another thing.

John
I need the to cut it to size to fit in my car. All finish cuts will be made on the table saw, the radial arm saw, or maybe on my new Festo 55 plunge saw.