Grease gun storage
(05-01-2018, 12:52 PM)daddo Wrote:  Yeah, the wife made me quit doing that too.
Mad

So yours has that habit also.
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If you wanted to get all fancy you could get a grease gun holder.
(05-18-2018, 11:33 PM)Anak Wrote: If you wanted to get all fancy you could get a grease gun holder.

Doesn't look like there's any grease in that gun in the picture...the plunger is all the way in from the looks of it.  Doesn't look like there's enough clearance between the plunger and the bottom of the holder to accommodate a plunger that's extended all the way when the gun is full.  

That's an idea, though.  I wonder if I could find a woodworker who could crank one out from scrap 1X4s in the shop.  
Rolleyes
(05-19-2018, 07:42 AM)WxMan Wrote: Doesn't look like there's any grease in that gun in the picture...the plunger is all the way in from the looks of it.  Doesn't look like there's enough clearance between the plunger and the bottom of the holder to accommodate a plunger that's extended all the way when the gun is full.  

That's an idea, though.  I wonder if I could find a woodworker who could crank one out from scrap 1X4s in the shop.  
Rolleyes

Huh? The plunger doesnt stick out when there grease in it. Its only pulled out when you screw the gun back together.
(05-19-2018, 09:44 AM)Robert Adams Wrote:            Huh? The plunger doesnt stick out when there grease in it. Its only pulled out when you screw the gun back together.

Maybe I misunderstand how these things work.  Isn't that handle and associated rod attached to the spring loaded circular to keep pressure on the grease?  No grease gun that I've owned, including this one, ever had instructions that told every step of how to load, use, and store it.  Good tech writing is hard to come by these days, it seems.

My Dad kept a heavy duty grease gun around when I was a kid; but I don't remember much about it, and it's been gone for a very long time.
OK, so I went and found a YouTube video that showed the plunger rod being stowed after loading the gun.  Learn sumpin' new evry day, I guess.

Robert Adams: Thanks for motivating me to go look.
Another thing about the plunger.... If the gun stops pumping grease, air pocket, pull the plunger out till you feel it stop against the follower plate. Turn the plunger 90 deg. so it won't go back in and put pressure on it and pump the handle until it " farts" to expell the air pocket. Turn the plunger until it will go back in the tube. The plunger is also used to check how much grease is still in the gun.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I've been always going to make one, but online I've seen multiple grease gun holders made of pvc pipe and a drip cup. Might try a google search, I need to put it on my to do list.
(05-19-2018, 01:32 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: Another thing about the plunger.... If the gun stops pumping grease, air pocket, pull the plunger out till you feel it stop against the follower plate. Turn the plunger 90 deg. so it won't go back in and put pressure on it and pump the handle until it " farts" to expell the air pocket. Turn the plunger until  it will go back in the tube. The plunger is also used to check how much grease is still in the gun.

Yeah, I ran into that yesterday, too, when I went and examined the unit after seeing the YouTube vid.  The guy in the vid recommended partially unscrewing the barrel from the pump assembly, then a little pressure on the plunger, and then retightening.  That worked well.
Grease guns are a pain in the butt. I have 3. I don't like any of them.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.