PM 3520B Help
I have about a 1 yr old, lightly used 3520B. In the past week, it has developed a “click” on each revolution, always at the same place in the revolution and seeming to come from inside the headstock, but can’t tell from where in there.

Tried to turn something small today (about 5” across and 2” deep) as a test. Once fairly round, upped the speed to about 800 and the lathe started to shake a bit - I did make sure the feet were firmly on the shop floor, so led me to believe may be out of round. The piece was also slightly out of round after turning so confirmed that. Tightened the bearing lock nut a little (perhaps 1/8 turn) but still hear the click. The manual cautions about not over tightening the bearing lock nut, so was a little nervous to do more with it and figured I would ask here first.

Didn’t remove the belt yet to see if the click exists on each turn with the belt off, but may try that as well.

Thanks for any thoughts. Will call Powermatic customer service if can’t figure it out this weekend.

John
(04-28-2018, 05:24 PM)jcredding Wrote: I had a pronounced click when I first assembled mine.  In my case, the drive belts were not tight.  A quick adjustment and it went away.

Mark

I have about a 1 yr old, lightly used 3520B.  In the past week, it has developed a “click” on each revolution, always at the same place in the revolution and seeming to come from inside the headstock, but can’t tell from where in there.  

Tried to turn something small today (about 5” across and 2” deep) as a test.  Once fairly round, upped the speed to about 800 and the lathe started to shake a bit - I did make sure the feet were firmly on the shop floor, so led me to believe may be out of round.  The piece was also slightly out of round after turning so confirmed that.   Tightened the bearing lock nut a little (perhaps 1/8 turn) but still hear the click.  The manual cautions about not over tightening the bearing lock nut, so was a little nervous to do more with it and figured I would ask here first.

Didn’t remove the belt yet to see if the click exists on each turn with the belt off, but may try that as well.

Thanks for any thoughts.  Will call Powermatic customer service if can’t figure it out this weekend.

John
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
Thanks Mark. Gave it a try, but unfortunately didn’t work. Did turn on the motor with the belt off and no noise. Tightened the belt back up and had the click, so definitely something in the spindle assembly.
I just wish I had a PM3520B to complain about. I'm old enough to remember seeing these below $2k on sale.   
Crazy
(04-28-2018, 05:24 PM)jcredding Wrote: I have about a 1 yr old, lightly used 3520B.  In the past week, it has developed a “click” on each revolution, always at the same place in the revolution and seeming to come from inside the headstock, but can’t tell from where in there.  

Tried to turn something small today (about 5” across and 2” deep) as a test.  Once fairly round, upped the speed to about 800 and the lathe started to shake a bit - I did make sure the feet were firmly on the shop floor, so led me to believe may be out of round.  The piece was also slightly out of round after turning so confirmed that.   Tightened the bearing lock nut a little (perhaps 1/8 turn) but still hear the click.  The manual cautions about not over tightening the bearing lock nut, so was a little nervous to do more with it and figured I would ask here first.

Thanks for any thoughts.  Will call Powermatic customer service if can’t figure it out this weekend.

John
Check the set screws in the pulleys on the motor and the spindle.  Also, check the belt alignment.  Sometimes there are two screws in each screw hole.
Joe
Verify that the locking collar, item #64 & 15, set screw is tight to spindle shaft.  You will need to move the digital speed readout out of the way for access.  I have heard of the speed sensor also being too close to the locking collar and making a noise.  As I remember, you can run the lathe carefully holding the DRO assembly and speed sensor out of the way of the locking collar.

Joe
I had a similar issue and it could be the headstock pulley not being lined up. With the belt on check to make sure it’s lined up. If it’s off you can adjust the pulley either way by loosening the set screws and move adjust it. I Still hear a faint click but I works.
Don
Thanks to all who helped. I checked the locking collar (loosened and re-tightened the set screws), confirmed alignment of the pullies, tightened pully set screws, etc. Not sure which one or combination did it, but it worked.

Thank you!

John
(04-28-2018, 06:30 PM)jcredding Wrote: Thanks Mark.  Gave it a try, but unfortunately didn’t work.  Did turn on the motor with the belt off and no noise.  Tightened the belt back up and had the click, so definitely something in the spindle assembly.

John

Mine only does that if the belt is not on the pulleys correctly but that is the only thing it does it for when I change the belt to lower or upper wheels.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I just now noticed this thread. Did you find the culprit causing the "clicking" sound?

I had the same exact sound on the PM3520 I use. It took me a while to find the cause, but did. (It bothered me too)

Mine was being caused by a very small (dust size) particle in the grooves of the pulley. I removed that tiny particle and the sound was gone.