Lathe Lighting
Trying to get better light at the lathe and didn’t see a discussion about it when searching. Right now, have the shop overheads throughout (8 4’ fixtures in 1000 sq ft shop) and am going to put one more over the lathe. Was also thinking it would be nice to have something that I can use closer to the work piece since the vision isn’t what it used to be (getting old sucks . . . but beats the alternative). Curious what people use to light the workpiece.

Thanks, John
I just installed a 4’ LED alight over the lathe. Works great.
Frank
(04-29-2018, 08:57 AM)jcredding Wrote: Trying to get better light at the lathe and didn’t see a discussion about it when searching.  Right now, have the shop overheads throughout (8 4’ fixtures in 1000 sq ft shop) and am going to put one more over the lathe.  Was also thinking it would be nice to have something that I can use closer to the work piece since the vision isn’t what it used to be (getting old sucks . . . but beats the alternative).  Curious what people use to light the workpiece.

Thanks, John

Overhead is fine, but a highly directional and aimed flood is really an asset for seeing the edge of the wood in a "ghost" rough piece, and illuminating the interior of open forms.  I use clip floods - cheap and effective .  I have changed to LED lights so a carelessly neglected elbow won't get burned so easily.  

Turner's head has a tendency to interfere with overhead for the uses mentioned.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I've got the KJR Aurora LED Lathe Lamp

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/90/...+work+lamp

I love it and have a second one on my wish list because sometimes you can't have too much light.

Of course, I've got a quad 4' LED tube fixture over the lathe.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I have a 4ft fluorescent strip and 4 track lights over the lathe.
Don
John

I use a desk lamp almost like this

https://www.lightingdirect.com/globe-ele...p/p2664103

But this one is cheaper and mine is not working after 5 years so I will get this one or another like it.  $20 is pretty cheap and I use a 100w LED in it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Nothing beats these with natural 75-100w bulbs that can be moved anywhere around the lathe or use three of them at the same time.

You can make a bar across the rear and above the lathe to position them in any direction.

I don't know why so many folks don't want to use them. Maybe they think they aren't "In style".
Laugh

But I have no dark spots or shadows using two or more of them, and they don't shine into my eyes.

[Image: 410mNADp05L._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg]
(04-30-2018, 08:58 AM)daddo Wrote: Nothing beats these with natural 75-100w bulbs that can be moved anywhere around the lathe or use three of them at the same time.

You can make a bar across the rear and above the lathe to position them in any direction.

I don't know why so many folks don't want to use them. Maybe they think they aren't "In style".
Laugh

But I have no dark spots or shadows using two or more of them, and they don't shine into my eyes.

[Image: 410mNADp05L._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg]

I have one of these in addition to the overhead LED.
(04-29-2018, 08:57 AM)jcredding Wrote: Trying to get better light at the lathe and didn’t see a discussion about it when searching.  Right now, have the shop overheads throughout (8 4’ fixtures in 1000 sq ft shop) and am going to put one more over the lathe.  Was also thinking it would be nice to have something that I can use closer to the work piece since the vision isn’t what it used to be (getting old sucks . . . but beats the alternative).  Curious what people use to light the workpiece.

Thanks, John

I have three 4' fluorescents overhead, and a tripod light to see inside. $3 at a yard sale.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hairy

I like that floor model but would not work with me since it is 30" from the wall
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.