Lathe Lighting
A 9.99 study light from Ikea works well with an LED spot from home depot. Mount it on your headstock.
I now have a very nice three stand lighting kit for filming. It also eliminates shadows at the lathe. 

But prior to getting this set up, I used clamp lights. Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and the big box stores all sell them. I use them with LED lights so breaking is not an issue.

These lights can be put nearly anywhere, and three or four cost next to nothing.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I have a 4' LED directly over my lathe and an LED light from Ikea with a flexible shaft and magnetic base. This combination works well for me. I only need the small light on the inside of some bowls and sometimes on hollowforms.
Thanks all. Ended up getting the 4’ LED for over the lathe and the clip on flood for at the lathe. Appreciate the help as always!
(04-30-2018, 06:51 PM)handi Wrote: I now have a very nice three stand lighting kit for filming. It also eliminates shadows at the lathe. 

But prior to getting this set up, I used clamp lights. Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and the big box stores all sell them. I use them with LED lights so breaking is not an issue.

These lights can be put nearly anywhere, and three or four cost next to nothing.

Ralph

Are you talking about the clamp on light that Daddo posted?  We have 3 of them but are used for the chickens and chicks
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(04-30-2018, 09:37 PM)jcredding Wrote: Thanks all. Ended up getting the 4’ LED for over the lathe and the clip on flood for at the lathe.  Appreciate the help as always!

John

Make sure you get a good LED light for your clip on say 80w or better and they provide a LOT of light localized.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(04-30-2018, 06:51 PM)handi Wrote: I now have a very nice three stand lighting kit for filming. It also eliminates shadows at the lathe. 

Yup, old days they were referred to as clip floods.  Used them a lot for studio work back in the day.  Why I happened to have them on hand when I wanted light inside the bowl....
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I use this LED loading dock light:

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's what I did on my midi....

[Image: TZK9Hfp.jpg]

[Image: ITtcKVX.jpg]

[Image: KDgfFtR.jpg]

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
overhead is good, and task lighting is also needed. I believe this is a link to the light my wife bought me for Christmas: https://www.amazon.com/Multipurpose-Work...athe+light

The magnet on it is robust! (40-60lbs) and the light is very bright. I'd give it an 8/10 and was pleasantly surprised. It'll snap anywhere onto my lathe at nearly any angle and hold even w/ an unbalanced piece.

This light, plus the 12 LED lights overhead make turning a well lit experience (and not the alcohol kind
Wink)

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem