Double Dovetail Issue
I just completed my first Double Dovetail (Inlay Dovetail) but I am having an issue.
The box is Walnut and the Dovetail is outlined with Maple.
The issue I am having is that the Maple inlay is taking on a brownish tint after sanding. This is only happening to the Maple Inlay that is end grain.
My question is, how do I get the brownish tint out of the end grain?
The box is still raw wood but when I wipe it down with Mineral Spirits it becomes more pronounced so I assume poly is going to do the same.
Have you tried air ?
Edit:
Well I read again .. might be harder now that you wiped it .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(04-29-2018, 06:53 PM)Brait977 Wrote: I just completed my first Double Dovetail (Inlay Dovetail) but I am having an issue.
The issue I am having is that the Maple inlay is taking on a brownish tint after sanding. This is only happening to the Maple Inlay that is end grain.
The box is still raw wood but when I wipe it down with Mineral Spirits it becomes more pronounced so I assume poly is going to do the same.

Very sharp hand plane?

John
Card scraper.

Plus 6 characters to post.
(04-29-2018, 06:53 PM)Brait977 Wrote: I just completed my first Double Dovetail (Inlay Dovetail) but I am having an issue.

Sanding is forcing the darker walnut dust into the pores of the maple, small though they are.

Same advice as already received.

1) Stop sanding.
2) As mentioned, try using compressed air to remove the dust that is left but the wiping may have negated that.
3) Switch to a hand plane and card scrapers.

If you are planning to use an oil based finish, the maple will take on a bit of color from that and the effects of "contamination" will be minimized.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin