Sharpening Stone Stations - Pics Please....
Hi All,

I have a Veritas MKII Power Sharpener and a Worksharp 3000, and I find that because of the time to set them up, and the fine metal dust they create,  I do not sharpen as often as I should, and it is a skill that I want to get better at.  So, I have decided to get serious about it and make it as accessible and as quick as possible, so that I can do it as needed.  I have purchased some Shapton Ceramic stones, I have a Trend Diamond plate to use for flattening the stones, a LN honing guide, and a strop charged with green compound.  I have the ruler as well.  

I have an area right by my bench where everything will be set up and I would like to see the set ups that you guys use.  I like to glean ideas before I make any project so I would be thankful for the images of what you are using, and any insights or observations that you have that could make it more effective or efficient.  

I appreciate the help!

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(04-30-2018, 11:12 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: Hi All,

I have a Veritas MKII Power Sharpener and a Worksharp 3000, and I find that because of the time to set them up, and the fine metal dust they create,  I do not sharpen as often as I should, and it is a skill that I want to get better at.  So, I have decided to get serious about it and make it as accessible and as quick as possible, so that I can do it as needed.  I have purchased some Shapton Ceramic stones, I have a Trend Diamond plate to use for flattening the stones, a LN honing guide, and a strop charged with green compound.  I have the ruler as well.  

I have an area right by my bench where everything will be set up and I would like to see the set ups that you guys use.  I like to glean ideas before I make any project so I would be thankful for the images of what you are using, and any insights or observations that you have that could make it more effective or efficient.  

I appreciate the help!

John

Always ready sharpening setup is a game changer... It is certainly worth the space.  For me I have the Tormek, the slow speed grinder, and diamond stones always ready on the bench behind my workbench... but there is nothing special about it.
I have a small tub with my Waterstones in it. When I need to rehone, I grab what I want and put it on a workbench and have at it. Nothing fancy, no jigs, no fixtures.

carl
I have a stack of steel plates (3), one guide, and diamond paste. It all fits in my hand. Everything is taken to a table and chair. And tissue/napkins; a bowl of water. I have limited duration to waste in standing. I should probably grind more often.
Thanks guys!

I appreciate the honesty of how simplistic this really needs to be.  I might have been overthinking this, which is nothing new 
Rolleyes
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(04-30-2018, 11:12 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: Hi All,

I appreciate the help!

John

Oilstones in custom fit boxes.

Doubled sided stone, soft and hard (black) Arkansas.  The soft side is up in this one.
[Image: 12531418873_d95a28fbc4_z.jpg]

I think this is still the original crappy box.  

Box for my India stone :
[Image: 12943116364_8bf714c116_z.jpg]

Made from single piece of wood, carved out to hold stone.  Kahya scrap I think. 

Replaced the Arkansas stone box with one made from another scrap of some kind of tropical.  Good dense stuff but honestly I can't say what it was.  Got a pile of off-cuts in a trade. 

Picture of work in progress.  Both halves mated together, probably working on marking out for a profile to plane in.  Can't find a finished picture of this box.

[Image: 12982565815_9519d15268_z.jpg]

To use : 
Retrieve box from shelf under bench. Open box, drip a little honing oil (50/50 kerosene and baby oil), sharpen then strop.
To store : wipe off with rag (same rag that can be used to wipe down tools since it now has a bunch of non-drying oil stuck in it), replace lid, place on shelf under bench.  Done.

No jigs unless I'm having a terrible day and just can't get it right.

edit to add, found a finished picture of box for Arkansas stone before adding any profiles :
[Image: 13022990263_c2904d78c2_z.jpg]

And here's pretty much all the more one needs to do for a "bevel":
[Image: 12531777624_f1c10c82cd_z.jpg]

Takes maybe a dozen "figure 8's" on the stone.  Usually I just hit the India stone and then use a strop. Leather glued to double layer of MDF.  Been using Autosol instead of green crayon for a while now.  Like it better but can't really say it is any better of a stropping compound.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I use the Frank Klausz water box.

Pics are to big a PITA to post on this sight so not gonna show you.
https://woodandshop.com/wp-content/uploa...klausz.pdf
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I fill the plastic tubs with water, one to rinse the stones and one to soak the stones. When done for the day or weekend, I dump the water outside, so the grit doesn't clog the drain. I also have a strop out by my bench.

I tried water stones for as long as I could tolerate the stench of rank water. The latest posts are a reminder. I still use it but more on the order of a sacrament; sprinkle, create slurry, wipe before moving to next grit, then clean. Put bowl in dish washer and we are done.

I may be the only anal one concerned with cross contamination of abrasive grits.