Sharpening Stone Stations - Pics Please....
(05-11-2018, 04:26 PM)Steve Friedman Wrote: Plastics!

Wow.  Just found my weekend project.  OK, maybe next weekend when it's not Mother's Day.  I have made a couple of angle setting jigs out of wood, copying Deneb's design, but they always get really nasty looking.  I love the fact that you can just rinse it off and not worry about how wet the thing gets.  
The slots for the stones is an interesting twist, but I tend to use a variety of stones that are all different sizes.  I am really going to make one. 

What kind of glue did you use to attach the little cleats?

Thanks for posting.

Steve

Bailey #5

Man oh man is that a great idea.   You did a great job with the construction of that I am very impressed and now I find myself wanting one
Smile

I made this out of shop scraps but it is a prototype 
Wink

[Image: IMG_1962.jpg]
I think I need to go the route you went.

Thanks for posting!
John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(05-12-2018, 11:36 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: [Image: IMG_1962.jpg]

John

John, yours is well organized and I like the inclusion of the strop.  You've got everything you need right there.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Just a couple of questions on the systems here to date:

Do you consider your sharpening system to include a bench grinder (whatever type)?

Do you include for methods that will focus on skewed, concave or convex bevels?

Do you have storage for the parts, so that they are easy to access?

Do you have sharpening media for different steels (if you have such)?

Does your system centre around freehand, guided, or motorised methods? Or do you combine these?

Do you have strategies for different types of blade, such as a smoother, chisel, router plane, bead, etc?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(05-12-2018, 08:03 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Just a couple of questions on the systems here to date:

Do you consider your sharpening system to include a bench grinder (whatever type)?

Yes, I have an 8" slow speed grinder, and a Veritas MKII Power Sharpening Sysytem

Do you include for methods that will focus on skewed, concave or convex bevels?

I am looking for suggestions on this.

Do you have storage for the parts, so that they are easy to access?

I have the plans from Bob Van Dyke for a sharpening box that I am going to make that will house everything in one place.

Do you have sharpening media for different steels (if you have such)?

I do not have such yet.

Does your system centre around freehand, guided, or motorised methods? Or do you combine these?

Combination of all of the above depending on the tool.

Do you have strategies for different types of blade, such as a smoother, chisel, router plane, bead, etc?

I am not that advanced yet.  
Rolleyes

Regards from Perth

Derek

Answers listed above Derek.

Thanks for chiming in.

All the best,
John
Well fellas,

After a few weeks with the new system all the hand tools in the shop are shaving razor sharp.  I am still working on my freehand method with the Barr Cabinet Makers chisels as I have no side clamping jig that will hold them.  (Anyone know of one that will?)  

I have used the veritas MKII to reestablish the primary bevel on a couple of old plane blades that had seen better days, and have been experimenting with 30 and 35 degree micro bevels.  I think I am liking the 30 degree better.  

All I know is I should have invested in a good system like this many years ago.   Having everything set up like this all the time makes sharpening fast and simple and something I will do more often.

Thanks again for all the input and help!

John