finish for outdoor mahogany deck
Am going to sand and refinish my Mahogany deck and would like some advice on what finish to use.  Am told that Spar Varnish is not hard enough for floor traffic.  Req'ts are hardness and durability along with UV protection.  The clearer the finish the better.  Thanks in advance.
(05-03-2018, 06:54 AM)flip Wrote: Am going to sand and refinish my Mahogany deck and would like some advice on what finish to use.  Am told that Spar Varnish is not hard enough for floor traffic.  Req'ts are hardness and durability along with UV protection.  The clearer the finish the better.  Thanks in advance.

What was it finished with originally?

John
Not sure or original finish but I applied a deck sealer about five years ago.  My intent is to completely remove old finish to get to raw wood.
(05-03-2018, 03:51 PM)flip Wrote: Not sure or original finish but I applied a deck sealer about five years ago.  My intent is to completely remove old finish to get to raw wood.

I would use an oil finish.  If you use a varnish you are headed for a real maintenance nightmare.  Even an oil finish requires frequent cleaning and renewing, but at least you won't have peeling varnish to contend with.  I'm using Penofin Hardwood Oil at present.  About the same as Ipe' Oil.  Both look great for a few months, and then start to fade.  After 6 months you need to clean it.  After a year it's time to clean and renew it.  Not what I hoped for, but what it requires to keep my Ipe' deck looking good.    

John
You have any opinion on a clear epoxy finish?  Like that used for garage floor without any flakes for color?
(05-04-2018, 05:18 AM)flip Wrote: You have any opinion on a clear epoxy finish?  Like that used for garage floor without any flakes for color?

Epoxy is damaged by UV so you will need to topcoat it with some type of finish with UV inhibitors.  That brings you right back to the varnish maintenance issue.  

John
Which Penefin oil, several kinds available on Penefin website.  How many coats?  When you say "clean and renew". what does that entail?  Thanks.
(05-08-2018, 09:15 AM)flip Wrote: Which Penefin oil, several kinds available on Penefin website.  How many coats?  When you say "clean and renew". what does that entail?  Thanks.

I use this one.  Mahogany isn't nearly as hard as Ipe' so there may be a better choice.  Anyway, for Ipe' you apply one coat a year.  Clean and renew means clean and apply another coat.  Cleaning is the hard part depending upon where you live and what trees you have nearby.  I have a walnut tree next to my deck, and I think it's responsible for the black mold that builds up on the deck.  Whatever is causing it it's been a real adventure in figuring out how to remove it.  Most deck cleaners don't touch it.  I've finally found that TSP + outdoor bleach will remove it - along with some of the finish, so it's a definite recoat job after cleaning it.  I'm looking into a product called Wet and Forget as a way to keep the mold at bay between major cleaning/recoatings.  

John
Have ordered same.  Thank you so much for your help.