DIY Mini Splits
Has anyone installed their own, or is this something best left to the pros.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

(05-06-2018, 12:49 PM)paarker Wrote: Has anyone installed their own, or is this something best left to the pros.

Not something I would want to try at my age.  
Laugh

[Image: do-splits-attractive-man-without-260nw-643136011.jpg]
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
I plan on installing my own.
Drill holes wall.
Mount inside unit.
Mount outside unit.
Wire outside unit to shutoff and breaker box.
Run electric harness from inside to outside unit.
Connect line set, from inside unit, to outside unit.
Run drain pipe from inside unit to ground area.
Suck down with vacume pump.
Open valves, and done.
I believe most systems come pre charged, with enough refrigerant, for at least short line sets.
If it doesn't be work right, a hundred or two, for an ac man should fix it.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I have to think this isn't all that hard for the DIY type, Pirates cliff notes sounds good. We had a guy here a couple years back (JR) who installed his own and it seemed to go well. He hasn't been around much since then, but it was kinda fun following his home rehab he was moving into. I do suspect there are some warranty issues with a DIY installation, but that wouldn't deter me.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-06-2018, 02:12 PM)fredhargis Wrote: .....We had a guy here a couple years back (JR) who installed his own and it seemed to go well. He hasn't been around much since then....

Raised And now you want to try it

Laugh

As long as you don't need to braze any joints (and even at that, if you know how to do that well - I don't) it sounds pretty straight forward.  Looks like a vacuum pump is less than a house call.
(05-06-2018, 02:00 PM)Pirate Wrote: I plan on installing my own.
Drill holes wall.
Mount inside unit.
Mount outside unit.
Wire outside unit to shutoff and breaker box.
Run electric harness from inside to outside unit.
Connect line set, from inside unit, to outside unit.
Run drain pipe from inside unit to ground area.
Suck down with vacume  pump.
Open valves, and done.
I believe most systems come pre charged, with enough refrigerant, for at least short line sets.
If it doesn't be work right, a hundred or two, for an ac man should fix it.

Sounds about right.  Been facong this DIY go/no-go decision myself too.
JR's self installed unit is now teats up. Drilling holes, hanging components and perhaps the wiring are DIY. Running tubing isn't bad if you don't need tight funky bends. Call a pro to connect and vac the lines. 

A Pro.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I agree with Blackhat. Running the lines, maybe. Connecting lines? No way.

(05-06-2018, 04:07 PM)blackhat Wrote: JR's self installed unit is now teats up. Drilling holes, hanging components and perhaps the wiring are DIY. Running tubing isn't bad if you don't need tight funky bends. Call a pro to connect and vac the lines. 

A Pro.
I've never done it...so this is being asked out of naïveté, not to challenge your expertise:

How hard is it to connect (assuming they are threaded compression fittings?) and vac lines?  Or, why is it a pro job?

Secondly, I know it would change situationally, but roughly what would it cost to connect and vac lines assuming everything else is actually done correctly?
They aren't compression fittings, 99% are flare fittings.  Flaring sounds easy but when you start hitting the 500 psi range they have to be right for a long time.  The unit connections are usually a unique thread, your standard refrig gauges and hoses don't fit.  You need at least one adapter.  You don't just need a vac pump, you need a vac pump capable of pulling a very deep vac, below 400 microns and preferably below 200 and staying there.  You can't measure those vac levels with a gauge set, you need a reliable digital gauge to verify your vac.  You most definitely should not use compressed air to pressure test your lines, it contains moisture and possible contaminants.  A nitrogen tank is the correct pressure test means.  Oh, by the way, you have to get a regulater for that tank. Now, if your lines are outside the factory charge limits, you need to weigh, within a 1/10 ounce, the additional amount of refrigerant required.  A bath room or kitchen scale won't do that.

There are a significant investment in specialized tools to do the job right. I would expect a tech to be on site roughly 3 hours.  $100/hr???
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.