Restoring old bandsaw-old paint lead?
Restoring a vintage Delta/Milwaukee Bandsaw where the original owner built a iron base welded together.
 It is sturdy and stable but I want to remove the old paint on the base and then recoat....worried about possible lead paint!? 
 How to determine if so/not and how to handle?  Thanks
Jerry
(05-06-2018, 09:39 PM)JJO Wrote: Restoring a vintage Delta/Milwaukee Bandsaw where the original owner built a iron base welded together.
 It is sturdy and stable but I want to remove the old paint on the base and then recoat....worried about possible lead paint!? 

I normally use a coarse knotted wirebrush wheel on the angle grinder. It creates very few sparks and not much heat. As a general rule of thumb lead and it's oxides are a lot less prone to enter the body when cold than they are when heated and partially gasified.
The colder method you use the better for your body.

If I remove a lot of lead paint I cover the ground with an old taropaulin where I work. That way I can collect most of the litter and dispose of it properly.

Of cause I use a good quality dust mask.

This is my way. I have no idea whether it fullfills all safety regulations but this is the best I can achieve on a tight budget. Take it for what it is. My way.

The chaps over at the Vintage Machinery Forum should know whether your paint is lead based. There are quite a few Delta nerds over there.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(05-06-2018, 09:39 PM)JJO Wrote: Restoring a vintage Delta/Milwaukee Bandsaw where the original owner built a iron base welded together.

Home Depot sells this lead test kits:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-LeadCheck.../203313743

What about using paint remover.   No airborne dust.   Use a tarp or newspaper to catch the stripped paint.   Being home made it could be any paint,  red lead was a common primer years ago.    Roly
Take it somewhere and have it soda blasted.
Sawdust from a bandsaw will take you out before lead I am thinking lol.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Use paint stripper first. No issue there with lead.  The metal should get totally clean.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Thanks..Many good ideas..I'm thinking about using "common sense" approach like TGW suggested...Be careful, use a mask, do outside, etc..
The paint comes off very easily..almost a powder....I'll be careful, mask on  and plunge in..Thanks for the tips
Jerry
I always give mine two final coats of clear enamel, makes the paint finish look a lot better and protects it. Bare metal, except the cast iron or steel top, gets a coat that stops rust.
2 coats makes sense.....
Jerry