Ductless heat pump
Hi There
Live in the temperate pnw
For many years have kept our elect baseboards at 61 and burned wood to heat above that and now that we're both retired that's about 6 cords a year.
Love the radiant heat but getting to be little bit of a pita
Have listened to the sales pitches of 3 sales people 2 Mitsubishi and 1 Fujitsu
Any one here have experience with those brands?
We're just going single zone
Thanks!
I haven't done Fujitsu, but I have done a few Mitsubishi as well as other brands. I like the Mitsubishi for the technical support and the quality is good. They actually have repair manuals that are legible and extensive. Good warranty as compared to some others.

I can say to stay away from Heat Controller/Comfort air for the long run.
(05-07-2018, 08:44 AM)Maddog Wrote: Hi There
For many years have kept our elect baseboards at 61 and burned wood to heat above that and now that we're both retired that's about 6 cords a year.
Thanks!

Morning, Little over a year ago I started working commercial HVAC, mostly hospitals, schools, industry, and office buildings. Mini splits have become the go to equipment for SMALL- server rooms, data centers, elevator equipment rooms and similar spaces. By far the Mitsubishi are the systems used the most, I might see 1 LG, Samsung, or another brand for every 100 Mitsubishi systems I see. And most of the problems we have with the mini split systems are install related.
I see a lot of Mitsubishi units inspecting older homes. When I say older, I mean over 100 years old. Almost all of them are in very pricey neighborhoods near DC. The rooms aren't large and very little closet space so ducted systems are a problem. rarely see anything other than Mitsubishi. They seem to work fine. Some are AC only as the old boilers (and some new ones) are still running.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(05-07-2018, 08:44 AM)Maddog Wrote: Hi There
Thanks!

I have a 3-zone fujitsu mini-split going 10+ years now.  I was installed for AC, but is occasionally used for heat too.

Very happy with the system!

If I recall correctly, I chose Fujitsu over Mitsubishi because of the size and shape of the interior units were better for my application.  That may have changed since.  performance, price and warranty were all pretty close.  That may have changed too.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
Thanks to all for the replies.
Appreciated
(05-07-2018, 09:08 PM)Maddog Wrote: Thanks to all for the replies.
Appreciated

I have not kept up with technology since I bought a cheap one for my shop a few years ago, but one thing to keep in mind is, at least the HP I bought specifically stated that when temperatures drop below 20 degrees, you need another heat source because the HP can't keep up.  I believe the better brands do offer an option to add electric supplemental/backup heat, my cheapie did not.  Just something to keep in mind when you spec out your unit(s).  We don't get that low too often, usually, here in VA, but it does happen occasionally.  Not too big of a deal since I only use mine to heat my detached workshop, but could be an issue if this will be your primary heating source in your home.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
We'll never get rid of our wood stove!
I installed one several years ago - a 2-ton Mitsubishi Multisplit to heat a 2400 square foot home built in 1883. 3 Indoor air handlers. I live in an old home with no ducts, so it was the logical choice.

I absolutely love it. It will operate down to about 15 degrees F, but where it really shines is in our usual 42 degree winter days. It is saving me enough money that it will have paid for itself in 7 years. The indoor units are dead quiet. You never hear them. One of the indoor units is a 'hidden' unit under my stairs, so no air handler in my living room which is nice.

And lastly, I do use the AC feature in the summer to chill the house a bit before I go to bed. This is easily the best money I have spent on anything in my life, although they are not cheap.
Both Fujitsu and Mitsubishi are good quality units.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.