Attic woes
My whole house attic fan would not cycle on the other day when I tried it for the first time this year.  I checked the circuits and the switches (high/medium/off and thermostat) were both getting current.  

It is over 20 years old so I called my handyman to climb in the attic and pull the old fan and install a new one.  The new fan cost $318.00 + tax.

I guess this is a good place to mention that I had a large number of black flies in the house lately.  I've been giving the Raid a work out.  

The handyman got in the attic and:

1.  It smelled like something died up there.
2.  There were thousands of black flies swarming over a far area of the attic.
3.  The fan was not broken.  Both the electrical leads had been pulled out.
4.  He re-inserted the leads.
5.  I turned on the circuit braker and the switch and cranked over the thermostat.
6.  It worked!

• So I now have a brand new assembled fan that I don't need (yet).
  • I have some sort of corpse in the attic. (I don't have a mother-in-law, so this is a mystery).
  • Eventually the smell from the corpse will make it into the ouse.
  • Right now the files are a problem
  • I am waiting for the pest control guy to call me back.
Other than that, a good weekend.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-07-2018, 01:54 PM)Cooler Wrote: [*]I have some sort of corpse in the attic. (I don't have a mother-in-law, so this is a mystery).
[*]Eventually the smell from the corpse will make it into the ouse.
[*]Right now the files are a problem
[*]

Wow.  Have you taken a headcount of all your relatives and friends
Laugh ??
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'm pretty sure it is a raccoon.  I had raccoon issues in the past and the pest control guy installed chicken wire to keep them out.  I suspect that one managed to get in and lost track of how to get out.  

However, some of my relatives (my sister-in-law) are not that friendly.  But I deny having anything to do with her disappearance.

sister-in-law:[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Been one of those weekends here too. Outer house built in 60 originally had a septic tank. Previous owners hooked up to the city sewer in 08 or so. Well nothing was draining Sunday morning. 

So with no cleanout.... I dig up the sewer line coming out of the house in the back. Maybe 1.5' before a 90* that heads down the house and I assume turns again to head towards the street.

I cut out that section and run my big snake in the house side then to the street direction. Ran the whole 50' and nada. 

I just got done wedging in a tee between the 90* and the house and stabbing up a pipe. However I didn't mention that the sewer line runs under the edge of the condenser slab. So only access from the side and the cleanout had to stick up at an angle. Also had to use a regular tee as there was barely room for it and no room for a real double cleanout. 

So now I gotta wait till tomorrow for the guy to come with the rooter and camera and see what's going on. I have a sneaky feeling it's either roots at the connection to the city sewer or the city sewer is plugged with sludge. Most likely it's an issue with the sewer as the city doesn't maintain them anymore. They used to regularly flush them but haven't in years. Oh the price for running the rooter and camera is $115 out the door.