Remove dye from inlay
I am building an armoire.  The door styles have an inlay on each style.  The inlays are contained in an inlay that I applied to each style.  The inlay are quite ornate and have small "squares" attached to each of the four corners.  The  inlays came with a piece of tape that you apply to the inlay before finishing, then remove after finish is applied.  I installed the tape and covered each inlay and the "corners".  I then sprayed water based analyne dye on the styles.  When I removed the tape, several of the corners bled dye onto them. One was completely covered. I did not flood the area.

These corners are smaller than a pencil eraser.  How can I remove the dye from these veneer corners?  The dye is dark brown and the corners are white maple.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
I would get some scrap maple to experiment with to find out what works before trying anything on your actual work.  My first thought would be to try bleach  with a small artist's brush.  If that doesn't remove it I'd try outdoor bleach (higher conc. of regular bleach that you can buy at HD, etc.).  If that doesn't work I'd try pool chlorine (outside if possible).  

The next time you want to dye something but not get it on an inlay, put a coating or two of Sealcoat shellac on the inlay with an artist's brush before dying it.  The shellac will prevent the water based dye from absorbing.    

John
(05-07-2018, 07:18 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I would get some scrap maple to experiment with to find out what works before trying anything on your actual work.  My first thought would be to try bleach  with a small artist's brush.  If that doesn't remove it I'd try outdoor bleach (higher conc. of regular bleach that you can buy at HD, etc.).  If that doesn't work I'd try pool chlorine (outside if possible).  

The next time you want to dye something but not get it on an inlay, put a coating or two of Sealcoat shellac on the inlay with an artist's brush before dying it.  The shellac will prevent the water based dye from absorbing.    

John

Thanks John.  I'll give the bleach a try.

Joe
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
(05-07-2018, 07:18 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I would get some scrap maple to experiment with to find out what works before trying anything on your actual work.  My first thought would be to try bleach  with a small artist's brush.  If that doesn't remove it I'd try outdoor bleach (higher conc. of regular bleach that you can buy at HD, etc.).  If that doesn't work I'd try pool chlorine (outside if possible).  

John

I'm trying the bleach with minimal luck (laundry bleach).  I brush it on and then wipe it off.  Should I let it sit a while????
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
(05-18-2018, 11:52 AM)joemac Wrote: I'm trying the bleach with minimal luck (laundry bleach).  I brush it on and then wipe it off.  Should I let it sit a while????

If it doesn't remove it in a couple of minutes I'd move on to something else.  You might want to call Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing, who invented Transtint Dye, and ask his advise. 

Hydrogen peroxide + baking soda or Oxyclean might work.

John