Lawn Grub/Insect Control
Didn't want to derail a thread that was also about a thread.....but I noticed early fall last year several areas of my back yard being torn up overnight.  Looks to be like a skunk going after grubs.  I've never dealt with grubs....but anyone used a product from that Do Your Own Pest Control website...or does Scotts GrubEX do a good enough job?
(05-10-2018, 01:11 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Didn't want to derail a thread that was also about a thread.....but I noticed early fall last year several areas of my back yard being torn up overnight.  Looks to be like a skunk going after grubs.  I've never dealt with grubs....but anyone used a product from that Do Your Own Pest Control website...or does Scotts GrubEX do a good enough job?

My only grub problem was related to Japanese beetles, and the skunks didn't bother them much. Milky spore powder worked to control those.

My neighbors have used the Scott's products with good success, so I wouldn't hesitate to use it myself.
Yeah if you have grub worms you will have june bugs (Japanese beetles). Dominion works extremely well in my experience and is also a termiticide and IIRC helps kill carpenter ants as well.

When i did some research on chemicals I found allot if interesting info. Many of the chemicals out there work on way more bugs than they say they do but due to the epa and patents they cant say that on the bottle. Keeps the chemical companies in business making superfluous chemicals when what we have would work but we cant "legally" use it in that way on that bug.
I've also read that there is no need to apply the product until June. I am not an expert, just what I've read. Also what I am going to do.
(05-10-2018, 01:11 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Didn't want to derail a thread that was also about a thread.....but I noticed early fall last year several areas of my back yard being torn up overnight.  Looks to be like a skunk going after grubs.  I've never dealt with grubs....but anyone used a product from that Do Your Own Pest Control website...or does Scotts GrubEX do a good enough job?

I use Grubex with decent results. Sometimes have to re-apply after 6 weeks or so. I put it down with the Scott lawn spreader with the opening set at 9. Supposed to last 12 weeks, didn't for me. This year I set the spreader at 12 instead of 9. Will have to wait to see if it does the trick.

mike
There are numerous white grubs that will be in turf.  A few examples include Masked Chafer, Japanese Beetles, and June bugs.  All have different biologies and different timing.

If you use something with the active ingredient imidacloprid, you'll get 3 months of control...
My yard is overrun with earthworms/nightcrawlers. Will this stuff hurt them. I like having them plus I'm an avid fisherman.
(05-10-2018, 07:32 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I've also read that there is no need to  apply the product until June.  I am not an expert, just what I've read.  Also what I am going to do.

I have always been told august to october ish. Outside that time it wont do anything due to their life cycle.
(05-10-2018, 09:45 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:      I have always been told august to october ish. Outside that time it wont do anything due to their life cycle.

Using milky spore for Japanese beetles, it's supposed to be essentially any time after emergence (here, mid June, give or take) up until the first frost. The toxins are supposed to get down into the soil and kill the grubs as they feed. Eventually it spreads throughout the soil and kills all of them. It doesn't kill your neighbors' bugs, but it does help.
Research, in at least OH, finds that milky spore takes 2-3 years to have any impact and when it does, it kills about 20-25%....