hand-planer
I'm a newbie anyway glad to be on board
Yes
Yes 

I have no experience of making wooden furniture myself though I want to try. I guess I have all necessary tools except of a hand planer so I suppose I would get in the nearest time if only you give me a sound advice which is better to pick. I want a tool that is compact, but powerful enough and preferably with no need of additional adapters or so.

cheers

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-14-2018, 09:03 AM)Rick_123 Wrote: I'm a newbie anyway glad to be on board
Yes
Yes 

I have no experience of making wooden furniture myself though I want to try. I guess I have all necessary tools except of a hand planer so I suppose I would get in the nearest time if only you give me a sound advice which is better to pick. I want a tool that is compact, but powerful enough and preferably with no need of additional adapters or so.

cheers

Hello Rick - welcome to the forum!
Smile

Well, first one plane only is just not enough - how many you will eventually buy depends on your needs, projects built, and importantly HOW MUCH you want to spend - take a look at Lee Nielsen and the Veritas just to see the WIDE variety of planes available for so many different chores - now these are also some of the more expensive planes one could buy - there are certainly less expensive ones and re-built older planes can be another less costly option - check the 'Woodworking Hand Tools' forum for many more ideas (and members there selling refurbed planes).

For myself, I probably have a dozen or more planes, mostly those from Lee Valley, i.e. Veritas - I probably use my medium size smoothing plane, block planes, and shoulder plane the most.  Good luck and ask some more questions and let us know your budget.  Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
Welcome to the forum.

When you say "hand planer", are you referring to this;

[Image: Vaughan-Bushnell-700-Uncle-Sam-Series.jpg]

or this?

[Image: 41Zo0cuiy1L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg]
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(05-14-2018, 09:29 AM)giradman Wrote: Hello Rick - welcome to the forum!
Smile

Well, first one plane only is just not enough - how many you will eventually buy depends on your needs, projects built, and importantly HOW MUCH you want to spend - take a look at Lee Nielsen and the Veritas just to see the WIDE variety of planes available for so many different chores - now these are also some of the more expensive planes one could buy - there are certainly less expensive ones and re-built older planes can be another less costly option - check the 'Woodworking Hand Tools' forum for many more ideas (and members there selling refurbed planes).

For myself, I probably have a dozen or more planes, mostly those from Lee Valley, i.e. Veritas - I probably use my medium size smoothing plane, block planes, and shoulder plane the most.  Good luck and ask some more questions and let us know your budget.  Dave

thanks for your response 

my total budget for purchasing equipment is in the range of 500-700 bucks, regarding that I already have other tools like drill etc and materials. I'm looking for smth that is good for an average customer not for a professional. I've mentioned before that I'm far from this at all. here what I came across so far https://www.bestadvisor.com/hand-planers. I wonder whether I can pick any of these?
(05-14-2018, 09:50 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

When you say "hand planer", are you referring to this;

[Image: Vaughan-Bushnell-700-Uncle-Sam-Series.jpg]

or this?

[Image: 41Zo0cuiy1L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg]
thnks 

second one 
(05-14-2018, 10:23 AM)Rick_123 Wrote: thanks for your response 

my total budget for purchasing equipment is in the range of 500-700 bucks, regarding that I already have other tools like drill etc and materials. I'm looking for smth that is good for an average customer not for a professional. I've mentioned before that I'm far from this at all. here what I came across so far https://www.bestadvisor.com/hand-planers. I wonder whether I can pick any of these?

OK Rick, so you meant an electric hand planer - for fine furniture making, your money could be spent better on other items - I had a DeWalt corded planer which I used a few times (once on a door) but was not happy w/ the settings; more recently bought the Bosch, but have used just a few times and never when I'm making 'furniture' - the corded hand planer has limited uses, a learning curve is needed, and the results may be somewhat crude and imprecise - before purchased, take a read HERE and HERE - hope that others will 'chime in'  - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(05-14-2018, 09:03 AM)Rick_123 Wrote: I'm a newbie anyway glad to be on board
Yes
Yes 

cheers

Why do you need a power plane?
(05-14-2018, 02:22 PM)WilliamHodge Wrote: Why do you need a power plane?

The question above gets at why people keep questioning you (OP) about which tool you need. 

A handplane (not powered) is useful for furniture making.  It can substitute for larger power tools, and will remain useful if and when you switch to power. 

On the other hand, a powered hand-held planer is a tool that most furniture makers don't use.   It can take a lot of wood off in a hurry, but is not too helpful about controlling where to take it off.  There are some specific tasks where it's useful, but it takes more skill to use properly than do most hand tools.

If you are just starting out and don't have a very specific need for a hand-held powered planer, my advice is to get something else first.
When I first started - about 50 years ago all I had was a jig saw, cheap router, some small hand tools and one of those electric hand planners.  I used it as a jointer and thickness planner.  You basically use it like a hand plane - just easier IMO.  I didn't have a table saw either.  My work bench was a work mate.  I still have the planner.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I'm in the same camp -- woodworking seriously for 35 years and pecked away at it the prior 10, never had a power planer and never saw the need for one.

I'd refer you to Popular Woodworking's "I Can Do That."  It is an outline and a few projects for the beginner and includes a list of starter tools.  It's gone through a few hosts.  But the basic premise is
* make something in a weekend
* using basic sent of tools
* using lumber from a big box.

Google Search will get you some of the documents and videos on YouTube (likewise search there)

This year, new hosts started out with a small table saw and added a sliding cross-cut table.   Last year, the host (Chad) built a router table as part of the expansion of scope.