Strange Iron/Chip Breaker Combo
What could this iron/chip breaker combo have been intended for? It is a Stanley iron for the 60 1/2 with a perfectly fitted chip breaker attached that appears to be factory made. Found on a table at a garage sale. Obviously could not be used in a 60 1/2.

[attachment=10394]

[attachment=10394]
Given that the logo is on the underside of the iron as it would be installed, I think you have a well-done homade iron/chipbreaker for a plane someone was making and may never have finished.

I've got a Defiance plane with a 1-9/16" iron width that I've thought about making into a scrub plane.  Factory Defiance irons are really thin, just this side of a paper towel in thickness (actually, I think I measured one at 1/16" or something like that), way too thin for the application.  If ever I get a round tuit on this project, I'll use a 1-5/8" block plane iron and cut in a slot like the one in this picture to accommodate the factory chipbreaker.
(05-15-2018, 11:29 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Given that the logo is on the underside of the iron as it would be installed, I think you have a well-done homade iron/chipbreaker for a plane someone was making and may never have finished.

Yup, someone made a Krenov plane then realized a Hock iron would be better......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If I recall correctly, Krenov initially used block plane irons with added chipbreakers for his planes. Yes. See p. 80 of "The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking".
I can see now that someone carefully made the chip breaker. Looking at the chip breaker I can see where he carefully scribed around the opening in the iron to center the threaded hole. If you look at the picture you can see it. Who ever did it was skilled with metal as there is a perfect "hump" at the end to allow the edge to firmly mate with the iron.
I have one of those in my Krenov-style plane.  I think my logo may face up though.