Project....
Because of pride in workmanship.  Also, you control the results.  I tell folks that woodworking can be a very expensive hobby, depending on how you acquire your tools and what kind of lumber you use.  I remember doing a cherry tool cabinet and the wood alone (I was living in Southern California at the time) was $300.  I was shocked.  Since that first foray into something really big for me, I decided that I wasn't going to shop for lumber again for a project unless I spent at least $300.  One trip to a lumber outlet I spent over $1000, which for me, was quite an investment.  I'm just glad my company allowed me to ship my lumber supply here to central Florida.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-16-2018, 11:38 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: Tools - $1315
Lumber - $375
Hardware - $125
Trips to store – 11 in 13 days
Hours of labor - about 60

Price of similar floating wall unit on Wayfair $800

Why do we do this stuff again??

Rolleyes
Smile
Big Grin

d) because we can
e) because we can not resist a challenge (as in why do people climb mountains or shop for bargains)

thanks for my best laugh of the week!  
Yes
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

(05-16-2018, 02:23 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Well if you're going to quit, may I have your tools?

You do know that, if he said "yes," we would have to ...
Winkgrin
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Lumber - $375
Hardware - $125

Rolleyes
Smile
Big Grin

That's what happens when a dealer starts using
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Lumber - $375
Hardware - $125

Rolleyes
Smile
Big Grin

Because those misscalculated projects are far between and the 5 projects before cover the loss and the 5 projects afterwards give financial gains.

Though...... I recognize that feeling......
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
It's funny,
But the last line should read...
Saying "I made that in MY shop, my design, mostly with hand tools..."
Priceless....

Winkgrin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(05-18-2018, 03:22 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: It's funny,
But the last line should read...
Saying "I made that in MY shop, my design, mostly with hand tools..."
Priceless....

Winkgrin

So I guess, the real question is; what species of lumber did you use , how much better construction techniques did you use, and what did you learn from it?
Smile
BontzSawWorks.net
Because it is a fun way of satisfying my basic human need of creating something physical.
(05-16-2018, 02:23 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Well if you're going to quit, may I have your tools?

We have a winner!

(But I get the tools, not Phil.)
Well, IF one already has the tools in the shop....might as well build something with them, right....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Hey Rob - no pictures, didn't happen

When your Dad turned it over to you he described you as a "Competent Woodworker" if I remember correctly