Project....
Apparently Mr Lang missed the sarcasm and humor
And...IF there be pictures of the project build...
Uhoh ...need to see them, warts and all....
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
How many of those trips were to Harbor Freight?

Laugh
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Now THAT was funny!

Imagine running into Rob Lee in Harbor Freight!

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(05-22-2018, 07:51 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: Now THAT was funny!

Imagine running into Rob Lee in Harbor Freight!

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
just has to be on the same day after being there the smell gets into your clothes and hair
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(05-22-2018, 01:15 PM)Bob Lang Wrote: Allow me to help here. There are some flaws in your rationalization. The finished thing may look like something you could get on Wayfair for $800, but in reality it is a handmade, custom piece. If you went out to purchase that it would cost you more like $3200, maybe even $4,000-$5000. Use that number for comparison. You should not include the cost of the tools in the equation. Are you going to throw those tools away when you're done with the project? Of course not, they are a long-term investment that will allow you to make many more projects in your future. You should be pro-rating the cost of those across the rest of your life, or even the expected life span of your children and grandchildren. The way I see it, you saved yourself at least $2700, you're now equipped to do better work faster and I bet you have some left over material you can use to make gifts. Seems like a bargain to me.

I hear you!

I started working wood because I couldn't afford to buy the kinds of furniture I needed.  In many cases, I couldn't buy it even if I had the money because nobody was mass-producing the kinds of furniture I needed.  Then, ever so slowly, I built up a stock of tools, and now I can build pretty much whatever my family needs, often just for the cost of materials.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Ah, the moment of retrospect.
Wink

A few years back I made an H-frame easel for my artist niece who couldn't afford one....I could've gotten by substantially cheaper just handing her the cash, but for some reason it seemed more economical to make (maybe because it's spread out over those 11 trips to the store).

But 10 years later, I still hear about how much she uses the easel...you can't put a price tag on that.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(05-26-2018, 02:34 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: But 10 years later, I still hear about how much she uses the easel...you can't put a price tag on that.

No you cannot.
Jason

(05-16-2018, 11:38 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: Why do we do this stuff again??

Rolleyes
Smile
Big Grin

Because we can.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(05-30-2018, 09:37 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Because we can.

So I can get a good night's sleep...
Winkgrin  

Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that