Brand of garage door replacement
Going to roll up style door as we are raising header n won't be room for standard type of door. Overhead wants $10,000 for a door. Contractor suggested Ideal door from menards.....only 26 gauge...that seems too light. Door opening 18 foot wide x 9.5 ft height.
Heavier gauge needed? Are the Ideal brand of doors any good? Thanks for help...Bill
That is allot for a rollup door. Check Rollupdoorsdirect.com Just ran through and they have one for $1400 in that size. 

https://www.rollupdoorsdirect.com/Roll-u...config.php

If this is for a residential door a roll up door might not make the other 3/4 happy as they dont look right on a house. Better to stick with a sectional door and use the kits that put the tracks right at the ceiling.
(05-16-2018, 07:21 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: That is allot for a rollup door. Check Rollupdoorsdirect.com Just ran through and they have one for $1400 in that size. 

https://www.rollupdoorsdirect.com/Roll-u...config.php

If this is for a residential door a roll up door might not make the other 3/4 happy as they dont look right on a house. Better to stick with a sectional door and use the kits that put the tracks right at the ceiling.

Looks like the roll up needs more headroom than the sectional, check the specs.  Roly
(05-16-2018, 07:45 PM)Roly Wrote: Looks like the roll up needs more headroom than the sectional, check the specs.  Roly

True but if you go with the roll on the outside you gain more room. But if you want insulated you need even more room cause the roll is bigger.
IME a roll up door is the biggest pita ever designed.

Cannot describe how good it felt to take the cutquik to mine......and dice it up into little pieces of scrap.

Ed
Have you checked out low clearance door hardware
Low clearance rails won't work...thus moving headers. Bottom of header will be level with trusses..thus roll up door only option.
(05-20-2018, 04:03 PM)Bill Mains Wrote: Low clearance rails won't work...thus moving headers. Bottom of header will be level with trusses..thus roll up door only option.

Ugh that means a roll up door with the drum on the outside. Very odd framing as well. The issue is you will still need up to 20" of room above the door opening on the outside for the rollup drum. 

Using the calculator on that rollup doors site it looks like $2500 door and that includes the $500 hood to cover the drum. The seal brushes are another $250 ish and it wont let me try to do an insulated door.
     I checked menards and ideal and neither show an option to put the drum outside which you will need in your application since there is no room above the opening inside.

I'm assuming this is a shop and not a house garage. If its a house its going to look really odd having a commercial rollup door on it.
My rollup fit in the "attic" since the area isn't finished.

Gable end install, the truss was turned into a header.

Ed
(05-20-2018, 09:56 PM)EdL Wrote: My rollup fit in the "attic" since the area isn't finished.

Gable end install, the truss was turned into a header.

Ed

Thats what I was thinking as well by putting it in the attic. But if its a house you will still need to box around the drum and drywall it as there has to be a barrier between the garage and the attic. But if its a shop its not an issue.