Cordless Impact Drivers - 1/4" vs. 1/2" - Bosch vs. Rigid?
One of the Bosch offerings accepts 1/4” hex and 1/2” square without needing an adaptor. Huge advantage to me.
I have the ridgid and I have a bosch set that I have barely used and is like new i need to sell...

I use my ridgid stuff for work. I bought the bosch kit as a backup( and possibly buy their left bladed circular saw) and home use but I don't like it. I used the bosch impact driver to drive the screws for the backer board for the kitchen floor and thats it. I don't like the ergonomics of the handle. Its thinner than other brands so if you were using it every day it would not be comfortable. It and the drill are well made tools but the ridgid and milwaukee as well are better on the hands.

The ridgid has been a perfectly good tool.and I have no complaints and the extra switch for the LEDs is really handy. The quiet hydraulic versions coming out are nice but I can see them degrading over time much faster.
I bought the Bosch 12v drill and impact driver as a set.Love that impact driver,sets screws with no problem and also drove some 4" lag bolts with it.Removed the lug nuts from my utility trailer.Plenty of torque for my needs and good battery life.But if you have 18v,stick with it.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(05-19-2018, 04:18 PM)giradman Wrote: Thanks All for the additional comments - from the reviews that I've read and the advice given here, the Rigid 'bare tool' may be my best bet w/ the 1/4" hex connection (don't do auto work and not planning to drive large lag bolts or similar items) - did not get to Home Depot today as planned (my landscape irrigation/lighting guy showed up to do some repairs, so I stuck around) - will try tomorrow - have 2 18V Rigid batteries - both are 2Ah only so doubling that capacity would be nice.  Dave
Smile

If you go the Harbor Freight way I think I have a 20% coupon in the Wood magazine I can give you.  Just PM me if you do.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-19-2018, 07:44 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: If you go the Harbor Freight way I think I have a 20% coupon in the Wood magazine I can give you.  Just PM me if you do.

Thanks Arlin - I'm planning to visit Home Depot tomorrow - since I already have the batteries/charger, a 'bare tool' from Rigid might be my best choice - if not happy w/ what I see, then might go w/ another choice - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
HD was 18 volt drill, impact, 2, 1.5 ah batteries, and charger for $179.
Included are, 2, 4 ah extra batteries.
Sounds good to me.
Drill and impact, with 4 batteries. And lifetime service and batteries.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(05-19-2018, 09:24 PM)Pirate Wrote: HD was 18 volt drill, impact, 2, 1.5 ah batteries, and charger for $179.
Included are, 2, 4 ah extra batteries.
Sounds good to me.
Drill and impact, with 4 batteries. And lifetime service and batteries.

True but getting replacement batteries is difficult now. You were able to take the tools to a store with tool rental and they could fix the tools and swap batteries. Now you have to contact ridgid directly for battery replacement and they make it very difficult now. And for tool repairs it can take weeks to months depending on how your local store is run. 

I also have the cordless miter saw and its actually a pretty nice saw but has an awful safety switch. The 18v vac is pretty handy as well but the big 5ah batteries don't fit very well as they don't clip in well.
Haven't had to replace any batteries yet, but did have a drill Chuck jam.
Called, and they sent me a new Chuck.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Well, I went to Home Depot today - bought the 2-pack Rigid 4Ah batteries (now own 4 Rigid batteries + charger, so just want 'bare tools' from them) - however, no impact drivers as 'bare tools' were available at the store (just combo kits w/ batts/charger) - SO, came home and checked Home Depot online - the only 'bare tool' impact driver listed was the Model R86037N which was not in stock (pic below) (I'm now on a waiting list) - this model is listed @ $119 (pricey in my mind) - went to Amazon and found another Rigid model R86035 for only $55 (I do have Prime), which may be an 'older' tool?  Great review in the YouTube video for those interested.

SO - I'm obviously tempted just to order the Amazon offering at half the price (assuming not a brushless motor?) - for those who own the Rigid 1/4" impact driver(s), any comments on the models shown?  Thanks.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(05-20-2018, 05:23 PM)giradman Wrote: Well, I went to Home Depot today - bought the 2-pack Rigid 4Ah batteries (now own 4 Rigid batteries + charger, so just want 'bare tools' from them) - however, no impact drivers as 'bare tools' were available at the store (just combo kits w/ batts/charger) - SO, came home and checked Home Depot online - the only 'bare tool' impact driver listed was the Model R86037N which was not in stock (pic below) (I'm now on a waiting list) - this model is listed @ $119 (pricey in my mind) - went to Amazon and found another Rigid model R86035 for only $55 (I do have Prime), which may be an 'older' tool?  Great review in the YouTube video for those interested.

SO - I'm obviously tempted just to order the Amazon offering at half the price (assuming not a brushless motor?) - for those who own the Rigid 1/4" impact driver(s), any comments on the models shown?  Thanks.  Dave
Smile

Remember the lifetime service agreement is only if you buy at Home Depot.    Roly