Cordless Impact Drivers - 1/4" vs. 1/2" - Bosch vs. Rigid?
What Roly said is true about the LSA being with HD purchases only. In this case I'm not sure I'd worry about it since I've never had a tool fail before the batteries and you got them at HD. I also tend to not worry about having the latest model, again...that comes back to hobbyists use. It will work just fine, just keep the LSA thing in mind in case that's important to you.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-22-2018, 07:36 AM)thooks Wrote: I bought the Special Edition 4-pack brushless Ridgid kit last Black Friday.  I love it.  The power is great, battery life is unreal and the tools all work great and feel good in the hand.  I will say that the on/off switch on the grinder can be cumbersome, but I suspect once you've used it 20+ times, it becomes second nature.

I have bought the Recip Saw separately and will probably buy the 1/2" Impact gun also.  If I come across a deal on the belt sander, I will pick that up.

I love the impact driver, the drill/hammer drill and cordless 7-1/4" circ saw.  The batteries last a long time and recharge pretty quick.

Careful on the ridgid recip saw. It has a habit of the blades popping out of the blade holder. I have seen several do this on job sites. Adn its not a use issue as the GC bought one and within the first minute of use the blade came out. Got a replacement from depot and the same issue so it was returned to depot. I like Ridgid but that is their junk tool because of the poor blade holder.
(05-22-2018, 05:42 AM)fredhargis Wrote: What Roly said is true about the LSA being with HD purchases only. In this case I'm not sure I'd worry about it since I've never had a tool fail before the batteries and you got them at HD. I also tend to not worry about having the latest model, again...that comes back to hobbyists use. It will work just fine, just keep the LSA thing in mind in case that's important to you.

Thanks Fred - waiting for my LSA approval on the 3 Rigid tools that I purchased - bought the 2-Rigid 4 Ah battery pack Sunday and just registered - the LSA warranty is not applicable for the batteries purchased alone, just the 3 year one - not sure about the 2 Ah batteries that came w/ my tools?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(05-22-2018, 09:08 AM)giradman Wrote: Thanks Fred - waiting for my LSA approval on the 3 Rigid tools that I purchased - bought the 2-Rigid 4 Ah battery pack Sunday and just registered - the LSA warranty is not applicable for the batteries purchased alone, just the 3 year one - not sure about the 2 Ah batteries that came w/ my tools?  Dave
Smile

Batteries are only covered if purchased with a kit(tool, battery,charger). The additional free batteries wont be covered. Makes you look at buying kits just to get the batteries covered. However...

If you need any tool repaired under the LSA and you take it to a home depot. You have to bring every single item that came in that kit. If you are missing anything they will decline to repair the broken tool. They will check the numbers on every tool to make sure they are the ones on that kit list. Yes I have had stuff repaired and its a huge hassle. I don't see the LSA as a big incentive to buy since I know how hard it is to get repairs and replacements. Now my milwaukee M12 tools I have had issues with Milwaukee has been the best at repairs. They have no repair centers to speak of but you go to their site and print out a shipping tag and in a week you either have a repaired tool or they usually just send a brand new tool.
(05-22-2018, 04:36 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:              If you need any tool repaired under the LSA and you take it to a home depot. You have to bring every single item that came in that kit. If you are missing anything they will decline to repair the broken tool. They will check the numbers on every tool to make sure they are the ones on that kit list.

There is a local independent repair shop in town that services the LSA -- never had a hassle, but it's been 4 or 5 years since I needed it.  If you do get a replacement battery, you are also required to register that replacement.
(05-22-2018, 06:29 PM)bhh Wrote: There is a local independent repair shop in town that services the LSA -- never had a hassle, but it's been 4 or 5 years since I needed it.  If you do get a replacement battery, you are also required to register that replacement.

Yup gotta re register all the new numbers but battery replacement is only done directly through ridgid now. They started that towards the end of last year.
Another vote here for the Ridgid. I've used their lifetime service agreement many times. It's a bit of additional work to register the tool for the LAS, but battery replacement, on a properly registered tool, is no problem. And it's great not having to spend 80+ dollars for each replacement battery.
there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
UPDATE - as already mentioned, I'm 'married' to the Bosch (both 12V & 18V) & the Rigid (18V) Li-Ion Batteries (have some single tools, i.e. Panasonic drill & small Festool drill) - Rigid still did not have the model impact driver I wanted at their local store nor online, i.e. as a 'bare tool' - some were available on Amazon but w/o a long-term warranty.

SO, based on the Amazonian reviews and my expected needs, I ordered the 12V Bosch impact driver shown below - great price for a 'bare tool' and excellent comments - now only about 900 inches/pound of torque (the 18V models had twice that amount) but again my needs are not going to be that demanding - BUT just to test, I drilled 2 small 1-inch pilot holes in the end of a walnut board (see 2nd pic) - the Bosch w/ a LOT of impacts drove  a 3 inch square head screw flush w/ the surface; my Panasonic 14.4V drill on the highest torque setting failed as shown - believe that this will serve my 'wood needs' - also occasionally drive 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inch Tapcon screws into concrete or brick - my regular drills work w/ effort, so now expect this Bosch impact driver will be more than up to the task.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(05-28-2018, 02:47 PM)giradman Wrote: UPDATE - as already mentioned, I'm 'married' to the Bosch (both 12V & 18V) & the Rigid (18V) Li-Ion Batteries (have some single tools, i.e. Panasonic drill & small Festool drill) - Rigid still did not have the model impact driver I wanted at their local store nor online, i.e. as a 'bare tool' - some were available on Amazon but w/o a long-term warranty.

SO, based on the Amazonian reviews and my expected needs, I ordered the 12V Bosch impact driver shown below - great price for a 'bare tool' and excellent comments - now only about 900 inches/pound of torque (the 18V models had twice that amount) but again my needs are not going to be that demanding - BUT just to test, I drilled 2 small 1-inch pilot holes in the end of a walnut board (see 2nd pic) - the Bosch w/ a LOT of impacts drove  a 3 inch square head screw flush w/ the surface; my Panasonic 14.4V drill on the highest torque setting failed as shown - believe that this will serve my 'wood needs' - also occasionally drive 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inch Tapcon screws into concrete or brick - my regular drills work w/ effort, so now expect this Bosch impact driver will be more than up to the task.  Dave
Smile

That's the one I have,more than happy with it.Great for what I need it for.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(05-28-2018, 06:32 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: That's the one I have,more than happy with it.Great for what I need it for.

Mel

Thanks Mel - my quick test above convinced me that I had needed an impact driver - plus, I love how compact and light the unit is at the 12V size - should be happy w/ the choice.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina