Powermatic Tail Stock Swing Away - Questions
To be honest, I don’t know the difference beyond what I’ve read. Based on what I could see and have read, paint and price appear to be the major differences. I installed it this afternoon. It took about 20 minutes and I found it very easy to get in place and working as advertised. Alignment took 15 of those 20 minutes, but a rubber mallet, straight edge and 3/8” Allen wrench took care of it.

And I have to say that after a single use, I think it’s a great purchase and won’t regret spending the money for even a minute. Used it today and after roughing the bottom of the bowl between centers I swung the tail stock away and started hollowing with the bowl gouge. Compared to lifting that beast off the ways, this was a piece of cake.

John
Thanks for the additional info.

Which one did you get?

I had been thinking about setting up a track (fake bed extension) on my shoplift that I could slide the various headstocks off onto.
That would require keeping enough clean and open space around the end of the lathe to roll the shoplift in and out of place.

The Swing Away option seems more and more worth it the older that I get.

I did get the rolling caster set for my PM when I got it and that was definitely a good investment.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I ended up getting the Powermatic version. Ordered through Amazon and it was here 2 days later with Prime shipping for no additional charge (other than my $95 / year Prime membership cost).
thanks.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 so that I can post
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Has anyone put the swing away on a 3520C , all the info I can find says its for the 3520B
(05-24-2018, 12:31 AM)iclark Wrote: John,

Could you comment on the differences between the 2 of them?

Ivan

There is NO difference.  Tom created it about 10 years ago and started selling it and then about 6 years ago he flew to PM to sell them the idea and they turned him down.  Now they bought one and make it themselves and sell it.

Kind of dishonest to me when you do something behind someone's back.  That and the spray can for $40 is why I will never deal with them again.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-11-2018, 05:14 PM)lee19460 Wrote: Has anyone put the swing away on a 3520C , all the info I can find says its for the 3520B

I heard it is the same bolt pattern.  If you contact PM they will tell you for sure.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.