Royal Wedding
The wimmenfolk were ohhing and ahhing over the whole display of pageantry and I’d look up and yawn. But the carriages were nice, and my thoughts went to how and when they were built. I’m thinking the 19th century, as the royals never throw anything out.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Maybe, earlier is my thought. It's a good thing dresses and tuxes don't follow the same tradition.
(05-19-2018, 02:37 PM)Admiral Wrote: The wimmenfolk were ohhing and ahhing over the whole display of pageantry and I’d look up and yawn. But the carriages were nice, and my thoughts went to how and when they were built. I’m thinking the 19th century, as the royals never throw anything out.

Late 19th and early 20th century, I think.  There was some commentary about how uncomfortable the ride was.

By the way, my uncle Bob made a quarter-scale model of the coronation coach about the time the Queen, Elizabeth, was crowned (1953?), complete with gold-leaf covering.  It ended up in the Smithsonian, and so did he; as curator of air frames (all those cool planes hanging from the ceiling).
(05-19-2018, 02:37 PM)Admiral Wrote: The wimmenfolk were ohhing and ahhing over the whole display of pageantry

Sleep
Sleep
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Did not seem anything special to me, unlike Princess Diana's wedding.
(05-19-2018, 02:37 PM)Admiral Wrote: The wimmenfolk were ohhing and ahhing over the whole display of pageantry and I’d look up and yawn. But the carriages were nice, and my thoughts went to how and when they were built. I’m thinking the 19th century, as the royals never throw anything out.

The carriage used in the wedding needed a couple of new wheels several years ago.  The carriage shop in Colonial Williamsburg built the replacement wheels for that carriage.  I made several visits during that time to see progress.  Amazing how thin the spoke are on those wheels. Apparently, CW is one of the few places in the world that has the skills to fix these old carriages.
John
(05-19-2018, 02:37 PM)Admiral Wrote: But the carriages were nice, and my thoughts went to how and when they were built. I’m thinking the 19th century, as the royals never throw anything out.

Didnt watch it so had to DAGS.
[Image: royal-carriage-2-2000.jpg]
I have to say, about the wedding itself, I admired her guts in walking herself in to demonstrate her independence.

I suppose, if you maintain it well and use it infrequently, one of those carriages can last a long time.
I tuned in to see the chapel building built in the 1300's
(05-20-2018, 10:20 PM)bandsaw Wrote: I tuned in to see the chapel building built in the 1300's

St. George's Chapel is the home of the Order of the Garter, one of the oldest and the most prestigious order of British chivalry. The banners displaying the heraldic crests of all of there living members of the Order hang above each side of the choir chancel of the Chapel and could be seen during the wedding. Below them are plaques with the coats of arms of each member of the Order dating back to the Order's beginning in 1348. One of the more interesting ones is the crest of Tenzing Norgay, the sherpa who accompanied Sir Edmund Hillary on the first successful summit of Mt. Everest in 1953. Norgay's crest is an ice axe on a plain white field. It was hanging when I visited the chapel in the mid 1980s, but he died shortly thereafter, so his plaque with his crest is now permanently affixed above his designated seat in the Choir.

Many kings of England along with many, many others of note are buried in the chapel, including Henry VIII and one of his wives, Jayne Seymour. Henry's grave is marked with a large black stone in the center aisle. Megan and Harry walked across it during the wedding ceremony. It is an impressive place, for sure.