Best Farm House Kitchen Design
Our client bought a beautiful, 150 year old farm house with a number of acres, a large work shed, a pond, a silo, etc. They wanted the very best farm house kitchen design she could find. Their ‘new’ place was wonderfully ancient, with post and beam construction but not a single floor in the house was flat (much less level / LOL). We ended up rebuilding their master bath, installed cabinets in their pantry and completely re-did this kitchen I’m writing about.
She had good taste (my opinion) and liked the look of the cabinetry on our website. She sent me a few pictures of cabinetry from a vintage cabinet shop in England. They were doing authentic, century old reproduction furniture. The look was perfectly understated. We used a few of their details but more importantly, she conveyed the kind of look she was attracted to… and we came up with this kitchen design….
These next three shots are a rough sketch of the floor plan and two renderings for the face views. You’ll notice there are no wall cabinets…

[Image: wHZgQ5YS_o.jpg]

[Image: YH0yxdwm_o.jpg]

[Image: bCR1Tv05_o.jpg]

Here are two close-ups of the doors & drawer fronts. The tall drawer fronts I made as frame and panel but the shorter ones were made as slabs with a bead running along the top and bottom edge. I also increased the door frame widths to make them closer to a older, more authentic look.

[Image: RAReihB1_o.jpg]

[Image: XMSFYuc6_o.jpg]

Here is the two-faced island… back and front…

[Image: bHtLreAl_o.jpg]

[Image: 41jfVTrZ_o.jpg]

Finally, a left and right wide shot…. The kitchen is too large to photograph it all in a single master shot. In the first picture you can also see the cabinets we built in the pantry (room in the back )

[Image: PNJu9qNe_o.jpg]

[Image: Sx2MrT4O_o.jpg]

I really love old, vintage woodwork and so glad a client was looking for just that look.

Russell Hudson / Hudson Cabinetmaking, Inc.
"Courage is knowing what not to fear."
www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com
Another home run by Russell!

IMO, adding wall cabinets would have ruined it.

Ed
(05-20-2018, 10:44 AM)EdL Wrote: Another home run by Russell!

IMO, adding wall cabinets would have ruined it.

Ed

definitely, Ed / whole different feel, right?
"Courage is knowing what not to fear."
www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com
I like the style quite a bit, it reminds me of something right out of Downton Abbey.
I like that also. I'm out of superlatives for you work Russell.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
Very Nice! 

I noticed you skipped the toe kick on some parts. Doesn't that interfere with good ergonomics?
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1 NKJV
That's one heck of a farmhouse!  Great job, sir.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I too like the set, eye candy for sure, but also notice the lack of toe kicks. I'd think that would get old, but then maybe the owner just likes to look at these, and not so much use them.
I love the look.  Of course a real old farm house wouldn't have built in but who cares.  Nice open design.  I wonder how the cabinets without toe kicks will work out.  I like the look though.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Didn't notice the lack of toe kicks...otoh, my grandmothers kitchen (old farmhouse) never had them.

Didn't seem to bother anyone.

Ed