Again Window thread
well i looked into Replacement windows by Anderson and yes they have a very nice product but they are too expensive. I mentioned this a couple times before here so won't bore you with details but I am looking to replace 9 windows with insert windows. Want to keep the frames. They are solid and the moldings on the rooms are new. Need to replace front bay window and back sliding door. What is another good brand and if I look at Anderson what series is better??  Is full vinyl better or vinyl coated wood better?? Thanks in advance.
John T.
(05-20-2018, 11:19 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: well i looked into Replacement windows by Anderson and yes they have a very nice product but they are too expensive. I mentioned this a couple times before here so won't bore you with details but I am looking to replace 9 windows with insert windows. Want to keep the frames. They are solid and the moldings on the rooms are new. Need to replace front bay window and back sliding door. What is another good brand and if I look at Anderson what series is better??  Is full vinyl better or vinyl coated wood better?? Thanks in advance.

Check your local window installers. There are allot of regional brands that are quite good and often much better priced than the big advertising brands. Check window world just in case. There is also marvin and Milgard as other bigger brands.
Are you sure you can't just replace the insulated glass units? Much much cheaper to just replace the glass
Asked similar Q here last year.

Window World was 1/2 the price of Andersen, maybe even less than half.

The Yelp and Angie's List reviews for local WW installers were substantially better than the local Renewal by Andersen installers.  Substantially.

Install went okay, half of the original windows had louvers below an inoperable thermal pane.  On the inside, there was a door you could open to get fresh air through the louvers.  I doubt they ever sealed well but after 50-60 years they were extremely lossy.

The louver sections were a bear to get out.  The more experienced of the crew of three tackled those while the less experienced did the four double-hung units.  The third guy went back and forth, cleaning and assisting where he could.

They didn't do a great job replacing interior trim.  The double-hung windows had some super-hard red-oak trim (may as well have been old-grown white oak), and 2-3 pieces got pretty dinged-up during the removal.  The louvered windows didn't have any trim to begin with, and the installers were sent w/ quarter-round to cover gaps.

I didn't care so much about that, I know a guy that is into woodworking and it didn't take him but an hour or two to fix the dinged-up trim.

I still hasn't trimmed-out the other windows, waiting to see what daughter and future SIL want (not oak quarter-round).

But WW did an alright job, I'd use them again.