Brazilian Rosewood ownership question
(05-21-2018, 06:07 PM)CurlyVermontMaple Wrote: Why I'm asking is that I am thinking of selling it.

This isn't a typical small piece of rosewood, it's a
slab.
Slab measures full (8/4)   2'' thick by 21-3/4'' wide and 11 feet 4 inches long.
I could be wrong but I don't think rosewood slabs are all that common
this size.
I'm kinda stumped on how to legally sell the slab without any actual documentation. 

Thanks for the reply's, any info will be appreciated.
Bud

It is sold here in the USA by several business who cater to wood turners and some with small lumber but nothing that big that I know of.

If you would like to cut a piece off I would like to get some for me and the vets to turn with.  Please PM me if you do.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-21-2018, 11:05 AM)CurlyVermontMaple Wrote: Good morning, I have questions about Brazilian Rosewood.

Here's my situation.
In the years between the 20s to the mid 70s Springfield Vt. was a
world machinist center in the US. The shops made many people
quite wealthy during this time and as a result there were several small
1-3 men woodworking shops that catered to the very rich.
All of the woodworking shops that were in production in the 50s 60s have
all closed and the craftsman of the time have all passed. Some of the woodworking
shops sat for decades gathering dust and rust.

I have a piece of Brazilian Rosewood that came from one of these woodworking shop
that was brought here in the late 50sor early 60s but no way to document it.

Has anyone here gone through the process of legally owning
pre banded Brazilian Rosewood that could give me advice on how to start the process?

Thanks
Bud
Bud, we have a woodnet member here who deals in large quantities of exotic woods..you may want to contact him..IIRC, he lives in Bothell Wa. and his username is SteveS....He should be able to help you.....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Dealing with something that uncommon could be interesting. The last piece of true BRW I sold was a square 1.5" x 6" long for $50. That was cut from the stumps of the big trees felled from decades earlier. A large slab like that would take some research to determine a fair market value. Would it be more valuable in its current form or as veneer?

Several years ago I bought BRW veneer from B&B Rare Woods for around $9/ ft^2. Beautiful stuff; 17" wide and 10' long. It might command the highest price on ebay or from a veneer cutter that sells to high end airplane interior suppliers.

First thing to do is to ascertain that it is true BRW. Paul Hinds on Woodbarter is the goto guy for that. Wood Identification - Woodbarter
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Thanks Jack & Steve, I'll sand few square feet and take pics.
and show the actual size of it.
This will take a few days and will try to post pics. here.
Designed by Ray Charles... Built by Stevie Wonder...
(05-22-2018, 10:29 PM)CurlyVermontMaple Wrote: Thanks Jack & Steve, I'll sand few square feet and take pics.

I'm not an expert on wood identification so unless it's an easy bunt I'd send Mr Hinds some high grade pics and ask him to verify. With the kind of money that it's potentially worth, you'd want the opinion of someone well qualified.

It would certainly be an awesome piece for a spectacular project. I'd probably be tempted to make most of it into veneer to get the most out of it.

This company might be a good place to start if veneer appeals to you.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(05-22-2018, 10:29 PM)CurlyVermontMaple Wrote: Thanks Jack & Steve, I'll sand few square feet and take pics.
One of the ways I identify it is the black, "spider-web" lines throughout the wood , but that by itself is no guarantee..because it is not found in every piece of BRW's.....I bought some small squares back in the late sixties, early seventies, before the ban, from Constantine's in NYC..The first thing I noticed when I worked them was the sweet smell the wood had when sanded...it was extremely fragrant and strong and very pleasant in all regards...That alone would just about "nail it down" for me....It was the most expensive wood they sold at the time, and they were one of the world's largest importers of exotic woods from around the world..They brought exotic woods in by the ship loads and had photos of whole tree trunks lying on the docks in NYC, in their catalogs.

Before I committed to selling it, if it does prove to be TRUE BRW, I would contact guitar builders, parts suppliers etc...I am sure they would love to get their hands on it..

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/braz...od+texture

http://www.constantines.com/exotics.aspx

http://www.stewmac.com/

Here's a little more info on it.......

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articl...rosewoods/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset