who'd a thunk it?
That building a frame for a bed, would be so complicated?
Uhoh
Confused
Winkgrin 

When you need to do this much work, just to make two ( yes, there are two sitting there) headboard posts...

to make rails to hold a padded panel between the posts, a 2 x 4 needed tenons made..

and grooves to house the panel..milled...dryfits?

Did i mention, this will be for a Queen sized bed?
Rolleyes
Confused
Winkgrin 
Even fitted (without the screws and glue) the rail where the mattress hits the headboard..

Short section was added, to keep this heavy object from falling over, onto something..like me
Rolleyes 
Short post is for the foot board.  Need to cut down a 2 x 10 x 8' into the rail across the foot of the bed.   Then find out the length for the two side rails. and cut those. 

Side rails will get installed using a pair of counter-bored lag screws with washers at each end.   Need to be able to assemble/disassemble the bed, for when it needs to be moved...
Cool

Head and foot boards will get glued and counter-bored screws, with plugs.   Waiting on the Boss to pick up the padding and the fabric to add to the 1/2" thick plywood panel..before the glue and screws get installed.   debate still going on about the tops of the posts.....beveled, rounded over, copper caps.....we'll see.   Choice of finish?  up to the Boss.

Oh, and she wants a small bedside table, too...to match the frame...nothing fancy, of course
Uhoh
Uhoh
Uhoh
Winkgrin

Stay tuned, the cussing has begun
Uhoh
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Looking nice so far.  More pics as you proceed, please.

One question: it's not clear to me from the pics whether the side rail lags screws will go into side or end grain. Either way, you might consider upgrading your fastener design. Just getting in and out of bed - not to mention more vigorous use - will generate a rocking pressure that could wallow out a lag screw hole.
"That building a frame for a bed, would be so complicated?"
--Bandit571

Bandit: the older I become I am finding out that nothing is quick and easy anymore....
Lags go into the side grain of the posts,  through pre-drilled holes.   Holes will be back far enough not to split the ends.   Rails also sit in the notches,   End rails prevent too much travel...

Mattress sits on a metal frame, kept separate from the frame.
(05-21-2018, 05:06 PM)bandit571 Wrote: SNIP>>>>
Mattress sits on a metal frame, kept separate from the frame.
Oh. Window dressing. If that's the case, why not use 1x stuff? Nice start!

But, ya, it's too easy to over-build one of these things. You should see the one I started..... Sacrificed an old-growth size DF for it.
The two bed frames may get joined together....might just add a ledge to the bottom of the rails, and rest the metal frame on that...still  trying to see what I can do with this...

Have built many a bunk bed through the years....and a loft bed or two....Queen sized beds are a tad bit different...
Winkgrin

'' Built hell-fer stout"   is what they used to say....
Rolleyes
Monday is over with ( I thought...
Uhoh )  but there is fresh DNA on the Pine....not recommended way to test a bead cutter for sharp
No 

Plane for today, was to complete the footboard.   That was the plan....by Lunch time, I am soaked ( some dummy forgot about turning the shop fan ON
Rolleyes )

Bead cutter was for the Stanley 45, still set up from the groove work...had issues with the micro adjuster on the fence..locked it down with the visegrips to tighten)   and depth of cut was too deep...finally got those fixed....and did what I thought were the two outside faces of the posts...
Upset then had to go back and do all four faces on both posts.

This IS Tuesday, right?
Uhoh 
Next was the top of the posts....bevels..

Set a little Skil saw to 22.5 degrees...first cut wasn't  too bad, something happened with the second cut..
No 

Lock for the bevel setting had loosened...screwdriver through the wingnut to tighten it back at 22.5   got the rest of the cuts done..

Needs a bit of clean up...
Bottoms of the posts were also beveled...old school way..
Rolleyes 

Out of space for photos?
Upset Ok, stay tuned for the next episode..
Been one of "Them" days...Cleaned up all the bevels, bead and DNA..
Rolleyes
Winkgrin 

Bottom bevels.   Was too lazy to set up a corded router,  anyway
Rolleyes 

Beads cleaned up.   Had to lay the posts down for some..

Sanded to 180 grit, and set aside...

Then cleaned up the messy floor ( for the third or fourth time this morning
No ) and cleaned off the top of the bench..
Cool 

Need all the room I can get..once I haul the 2 x 10 x 8' plank to the shop....needs to be trimmed down to around 67-1/4" long.....counter-bored holes drilled for screws to attach the plank to those posts...and have the foot board ready for stain/finish.  Maybe AFTER Lunch...we'll see..
Winkgrin 
Stay tuned
Plank has been cut...and notched...

This is AFTER I found out the first three holes were in the wrong spot....correct ones are to the outside..
Angry 

Front view.   Left side does have the correct screw locations....will be making plugs, anyway, what another three?   Will use the cutoff from the plank to make a few plugs..

I double checked, to make sure the notches for the side rails match up..
Rolleyes  

Letting this sit a day, to let the glue cure.   Screws are #12s.   I am worn out, will wait til tomorrow before anything else gets done...
Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Clamps came off the footboard today...haul it upstairs for a test fit..just the footboard..
Winkgrin 

Started to take apart the headboard, and clean a few things up....tenons needed a bit of chisel work

Used a chisel from Aldi's, and used my chin to push the chisel..

Round-over bit in the router to dress up the rounded edges.   Then readjusted the Stanley 45.   Had a bind issue,  rear of the skates was wider than the front, fixed that, ran a few beads
Cool  

Had both the top and bottom rail done, and set aside.   Got one post on the bench, and ran two beads.  Bevels were done, top and bottom

Suppertime!  May or may not go back to the shop, this evening..kind of worn out, right now.  

Stay tuned
Winkgrin