who'd a thunk it?
Geez, don't know why you wouldn't be. I'm worn out from going through today's posts! Take it easy on yourself. Definitely, looking good!
Long, busy, mean day yesterday....Stapler was a POS...could not find any staples that would even fit inside it...tossed that aside...Fabric and foam arrived.....foam was the wrong size..took that back and got the right one....1" thick foam, in a roll.  Picked a few boxes of nails to attach the fabric...

Ran the Wards 78 around all the edges of the plywood panel..taking off one layer..

Had my 18 yr old Grandson help..we rolled out the foam, cut it to length.   Stretched out the fabric  over the foam.  Flipped all three over, and stretched and nailed the fabric in place.

Then a bit of assembly...glue on the tenons, with one post laying on the floor....once the rails were in place, the panel was slid into it's place, and the next post was glued on...with a bit of help from a clamp and a hammer... Main rail was then installed ( with a few good hits from the hammer) and screws were driven home...Took some careful moving around, to finally get the headboard to stand up, on it's own two feet.
Cool 

Added the pipe clamps to pull the top tighter...drilled a few 1/4" holes through the tenons 

And drove a 1/4" dowel...after it was wiped with glue...
Rolleyes  

Plan being to let this set a day, or so. 
The Boss has picked out a weathered gray stain/varnish to cover the bare wood.....meh.   The gray fabric was also her picking things out...
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes

Bringing supplies and tools upstairs, and getting ready for the side rails.   Too hot today, to do too much work...may start up a "Night Shift"?
Confused

Stay tuned..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
That's looking nice. I like the tops of the posts, especially.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(05-26-2018, 02:16 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Long, busy, mean day yesterday....Stapler was a POS...could not find any staples that would even fit inside it...tossed that aside...Fabric and foam arrived.....foam was the wrong size..took that back and got the right one....1" thick foam, in a roll.  Picked a few boxes of nails to attach the fabric...

Ran the Wards 78 around all the edges of the plywood panel..taking off one layer..

Had my 18 yr old Grandson help..we rolled out the foam, cut it to length.   Stretched out the fabric  over the foam.  Flipped all three over, and stretched and nailed the fabric in place.

Then a bit of assembly...glue on the tenons, with one post laying on the floor....once the rails were in place, the panel was slid into it's place, and the next post was glued on...with a bit of help from a clamp and a hammer... Main rail was then installed ( with a few good hits from the hammer) and screws were driven home...Took some careful moving around, to finally get the headboard to stand up, on it's own two feet.
Cool 

Added the pipe clamps to pull the top tighter...drilled a few 1/4" holes through the tenons 

And drove a 1/4" dowel...after it was wiped with glue...
Rolleyes  

Plan being to let this set a day, or so. 
The Boss has picked out a weathered gray stain/varnish to cover the bare wood.....meh.   The gray fabric was also her picking things out...
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes

Bringing supplies and tools upstairs, and getting ready for the side rails.   Too hot today, to do too much work...may start up a "Night Shift"?
Confused

Stay tuned..
Is this the same build as one by Steve Newman on the SMC forum?
The same....
Cool

Have also been known to pick a Millers Falls No. 14, type 3...for $1.35..
Rolleyes  

Currently rehabbing it.   Now you understand the name Bandit...
Winkgrin
(05-27-2018, 12:12 PM)bandit571 Wrote: The same....
Cool

Have also been known to pick a Millers Falls No. 14, type 3...for $1.35..
Rolleyes  

Currently rehabbing it.   Now you understand the name Bandit...
Winkgrin

I love how you are doing it and how you make even pine look good.

My sweetheart has been wanting a head board made for our bed.  When I get to it I will post it and pictures also like you did.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Roh Kay, Raggy.....understand  this...the choice of the finish was not mine.
No ...the Boss picked the stuff...and I have to somehow make it look good...
Uhoh  

Talk about a Miracle Worker
Rolleyes 

Rustoleum Weathered Gray...Stain and Varnish....not a fan of the stuff...but it is what the Boss wanted..
Rolleyes 

Maybe a second coat will help it out?   Doubt it, we'll see.   She also only wants this stuff where it will be seen...once the bed has been made....insides, and where it will be against the wall?  Nope. just the outsides. 

Did pick up the last of the parts...and as soon as the finish is done. ...this is going to be put together.   And call it done.  
Mad
Even with the A/C  on full blast where I was working...still too bleeding hot, today..
Upset 
Had eight holes to counter-bore, and pilot hole..

Craftsman #13 bit, then a #5 ( C.V. EXTRA?) for the pilot holes

I also needed to notch the ends a bit...cross cut wasn't to much work, but the rip cuts were made sitting ON the board, and two-handing a Farmer..

Then cut a pair of 2 x 2s to length..

Then glue and screws to attach the slat rail..

Both rails are now ready for that "finish" and then some assembly...need the foot board and both rails finished.  Slats will need trimmed for fit...when the bed is assembled. 

Stay tuned
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Well, decided the "best way to finish all three items, without too big of a mess, IN the house, was to set them up on a pair of sawhorses on the patio out back....no saw horses?  made a "run to the stores" came back with a pair of folding ones....that I can stow out of the way when I'm done..
Cool 

Slapped on a heavy coat of that stuff...and let it dry over night
Winkgrin  where I couldn't  smell the stuff
Rolleyes 

Have to tear the old bed apart, and then assemble the "new" bed in it's place....might have it done by Suppertime?   We'll see
Rolleyes 

Then I can start on a simple Shaker table build....that WON"T involve "paint".....need to purge my system of the stuff....Shellac?
Winkgrin
Old metal bed frame is outside, sitting on the curb.   New bed frame has been assembled, and the bed made..
Cool 

Took a while....had to cut the 1 x 6 slats to length..
Rolleyes 

Used three.  then a layer of 3/4" plywood. slats and the plywood held in place with screws, but no glue.
Winkgrin  

It does sit a bit higher than the old one..might be a bit easier to get up in the mornings....
Rolleyes  

The Boss seems to like it....that is what counts..