Nova chuck doesn't spin true
(05-23-2018, 06:39 AM)AHill Wrote: Runout in your chuck won't cause an out of round bowl.  It'll cause an off-center base or off-center depression.  And it'll be noticeable when you flip the bowl around for hollowing.  But, it's normal to get some sort of misalignment when flipping and remounting, as has been mentioned.  A bowl will turn round even with a chuck with runout because your tool rest provides a fixed reference point for turning. 

Disagree.  One of the reasons I prefer the mortise over the tenon hold is because I can guarantee re-center when I reverse to hollow, or occasionally remount a bowl that didn't take a finish the way I wanted it to.  If I fail to get it, I remove the shaving or dust inside the mortise that is preventing the chuck from bottoming.  

Most likely, as mentioned, the insert is at fault.  On my third SN I had a similar problem which was rectified by cleaning some machining flash on the Teknatool insert.  Also ran into a problem with a fellow turner's insert where he had not completely bottomed it, and pushed it off-center with the grubscrew.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
That would drive me nuts.  Don't these chucks have a backplate?  Is it possible to adjust the chuck relative to the backplate?
Still have to find a reference surface.
(05-23-2018, 06:39 AM)AHill Wrote: Runout in your chuck won't cause an out of round bowl.  It'll cause an off-center base or off-center depression.  And it'll be noticeable when you flip the bowl around for hollowing.  But, it's normal to get some sort of misalignment when flipping and remounting, as has been mentioned.  A bowl will turn round even with a chuck with runout because your tool rest provides a fixed reference point for turning.  If there's runout in the chuck or insert, you'll need to test it without a bowl mounted.  Also, test the spindle.  I had a Nova 1624 whose internal threads on the spindle were out of round (very small, but noticeable when turning pens).  Teknatool replaced the lathe for free.  They did have some quality issues when they moved production from New Zealand to China.

Doesn't seem that I should have to return the outside after I have already turned it and made my mortise. I'm pretty sure there's something in the insert or chuck as I can see its not spinning true. The faceplates spin true so its 'bout gotta be the insert or chuck. Can't check the chuck without the insert and probably won't be enough wobble in the just insert to see it with the naked eye
Looks like my link isn't working.
If you stand the insert on end with threaded part down the letter (L, D, Ect) should be upright.
If it is laying on its side it is not a Nova.
If it is black and the hex threads all the way against the chuck body it is not a Nova.  WC sold their own insert for their chucks to Nova customers and they do not seat.  With a Nova insert there will be about a 1/8" gap between the hex of the insert and the chuck body.  The black WC are too short and can not seat against the mating surface inside the chuck body.
(05-22-2018, 08:56 PM)PVW Wrote: You can see the chuck body oscillating even when its empty. If I remember right I ordered the chuck and insert with the lathe but may be mistaken. I'm going to remove the insert clean it up and start again but pretty sure I cleaned it up in the beginning. We'll see what happens

"When reinserting the insert make sure it seats well. The transfer of power if from the end of the insert to the interior of the chuck body. "...

And to the headstock/spindle shoulder also
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-23-2018, 10:24 AM)NCPaladin Wrote: Looks like my link isn't working.
If you stand the insert on end with threaded part down the letter (L, D, Ect) should be upright.
If it is laying on its side it is not a Nova.
If it is black and the hex threads all the way against the chuck body it is not a Nova.  WC sold their own insert for their chucks to Nova customers and they do not seat.  With a Nova insert there will be about a 1/8" gap between the hex of the insert and the chuck body.  The black WC are too short and can not seat against the mating surface inside the chuck body.

looks like it isn't a nova insert.L is sideways on it. It appears to spin true but it would be hard to see. It has a couple threads on the middle that are kinda flattened out but goes in to bottom out in the chuck. Where can I find a good insert?
If you buy on Amazon they have most every size and with prime.  Note the letters are upright in most of the pictures.  There are many places that sell them other than Amazon but you may not get free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_...ck+inserts

If you scroll down the page you will see one listed as "[/url]1" X 8TPI INSERT FOR NOVA CHUCKS (Most Common)"
You will note is does not say "Nova insert" but instead it says "insert for Nova"...  and yep if you check that seller it is Woodcraft.

[url=https://www.amazon.com/8TPI-INSERT-NOVA-CHUCKS-Common/dp/B003A0B72M/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1527114967&sr=8-16&keywords=nova+chuck+inserts]
I'm curious to know if the problem has been resolved.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(06-05-2018, 02:44 PM)AHill Wrote: I'm curious to know if the problem has been resolved.

Been busy. Starting shows now and just got done slabbing live edge old growth sugar maple and cherry. May be a while till I get another insert to try