Wood ID Help
Friend gave me sections of a tree trunk he said is black walnut but I don't believe - no dark wood in the entire tree.  Pieces are about 12" diameter, sap is deep red and just below the bark is a maroon / almost purple fibrous material.  Grain almost looks like a light colored mahogany.  Appreciate any thoughts on what it is - I'm stumped at this point.

Attached Files Image(s)

If the tree was really throwing walnuts. It would be a English walnut because that wood is not back walnut. English walnut has a kind of grey heartwood when dry. It's not a very attractive wood IMO.
The bark is similar to pecan, but to me, pecan is a little darker than the piece pictured.  I roughed 8 pecan bowls just last week.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I don't know what it is, but I know that it is not black walnut.
(05-26-2018, 02:29 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: I don't know what it is, but I know that it is not black walnut.

+1

Sorry I'm not more help.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
(05-26-2018, 08:46 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: The bark is similar to pecan, but to me, pecan is a little darker than the piece pictured.  I roughed 8 pecan bowls just last week.

I am not good with bark, but the pecan yard tree that I harvested was every bit as light as the wood in the picture. I do not remember any red next to the bark, though.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Could it be a Hickory? Hickory nuts could be confused with Walnuts by folks not familiar with trees
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(06-10-2018, 05:44 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Could it be a Hickory?  Hickory nuts could be confused with Walnuts by folks not familiar with trees

Now that WT said that it could be Butternut which is called White Walnut.  What do you guys think?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.