The start of something big....
Lee Valley now has a store in the United States.

Curious how Reno, Nevada was chosen as the first, but I'm not complaining...
Winkgrin
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
It is probably mainly intended as a warehouse for quicker shipping to western half of the country as the prior shipments were out of NY state, I believe. So, more than likely, it was driven by logistics. Otherwise, Reno would not make even top 20 in the US in terms of local market potential for Lee Valley.

Great news in any case. Have never been to Reno, but would try to make it to the LV store if I go there in the future.
It's a real store, with real business hours.  In their terms, it's an "Express Store".  You can order ahead and pickup at the store as well.  Given the location, it may very well also be a distribution center for western region sales.  It's at the southern end of the airport.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/home/page.aspx?p=76797

[Image: RenoStorePhoto.jpg]
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-25-2018, 11:22 PM)Big Dave Wrote: Lee Valley now has a store in the United States.

Curious how Reno, Nevada was chosen as the first, but I'm not complaining...
Winkgrin

Hi -

The Reno location has been set up to serve the western States faster - pretty much 1-2 day delivery times. Right now, as we continue to tune the inventory, we're shipping 60-80% of those orders complete (the balance are shipping from NY). As of today, we have 16,082 items in stock at that warehouse, and climbing. We continue to learn how to operate with multiple distribution warehouses....

The storefront is not typical of our retail stores. It has complete displays of Festool and Veritas, and a very eclectic selection of new and popular product, shown in about 500 square feet of space (maybe 1,000 products total); our typical store showroom would be 5,000 to 8,000 square feet. By all means - it's still worth a visit if you're in the area, but I would not travel a large distance expecting to be able to browse the entire offering, though it is all stocked for pick-up in the warehouse.

As soon as I can get my hands on some pictures, I'll post them here....

Cheers -

Rob
Welcome to the U.S., Rob! I'm glad to see it. I hope your new venture is a roaring success.
Oh boy!!

I get to Reno now and then as I have
relations an hours drive away. So it is
a double win for me, faster shipping
to the house and a nice visit when at
the cabin.

For those that do not know, the greater
Reno area has LOTS of warehouse
space, for western distribution of all kinds
of products/companies.

Probably related to Taxifornia vs Nevada
right next door.

Welcome to the USA Rob!!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I live in the states but am very lucky to live close to not one, but TWO Lee Valley Stores located in and near Vancouver Canada.  

Life is tough!!   
Smile
(05-26-2018, 08:42 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: Hi -

The Reno location has been set up to serve the western States faster - pretty much 1-2 day delivery times. Right now, as we continue to tune the inventory, we're shipping 60-80% of those orders complete (the balance are shipping from NY). As of today, we have 16,082 items in stock at that warehouse, and climbing. We continue to learn how to operate with multiple distribution warehouses....

The storefront is not typical of our retail stores. It has complete displays of Festool and Veritas, and a very eclectic selection of new and popular product, shown in about 500 square feet of space (maybe 1,000 products total); our typical store showroom would be 5,000 to 8,000 square feet. By all means - it's still worth a visit if you're in the area, but I would not travel a large distance expecting to be able to browse the entire offering, though it is all stocked for pick-up in the warehouse.

As soon as I can get my hands on some pictures, I'll post them here....

Cheers -

Rob

If you ever do one in Council Bluffs, IA.  I will give you some work time for free.  Plus the work force is really good and in the Midwest as well. Plus Plus  For me and for you. 
Yes
Yes
Big Grin
Big Grin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-26-2018, 08:42 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: Hi -

The Reno location has been set up to serve the western States faster - pretty much 1-2 day delivery times.

Cheers -

Rob

That explains how my last order got to Idaho so fast...
Smirk 

I'm thinking that it's also a sign that business is good, and that's good for all of us.
Yes

Thanks, Rob!
Winkgrin
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
It actually is a larger storage facility for ROB's hand-tool collection. Hence the glass windows and the glass door that doesn't open.
WoodTinker