Sharpen your own metal files
Politics 
I haven't tried this method but it seems like it may work pretty well if the files are not worn completely out..The materials are not expensive so it wont break the bank...If the files are "pinned", {metal particles trapped in the serrations} you will need a flat piece of brass or copper to act as a "pusher" to remove the particles....Or you can make a pointed "pusher" out of an old steel scriber, just use the point to push the particles out...Some commercial file cards come equipped with a steel push-pin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRakH7TrE2E
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Have been cleaning the garage over the past week. The rusty files went out with the donations and or garbage. Should have tried this trick before we cleaned!
(06-01-2018, 08:59 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: I haven't tried this method but it seems like it may work pretty well if the files are not worn completely out..The materials are not expensive so it wont break the bank...If the files are "pinned", {metal particles trapped in the serrations} you will need a flat piece of brass or copper to act as a "pusher" to remove the particles....Or you can make a pointed "pusher" out of an old steel scriber, just use the point to push the particles out...Some commercial file cards come equipped with a steel push-pin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRakH7TrE2E

There was a lot of talk about cleaning files with citric acid on this forum many years ago.  It did seem to work to a degree, but not like that business that renews files commercially.  Are they even in business anymore?
Yup. Boggs tool.

http://www.boggstool.com/

Never had occasion to use them. Nice to know they are there anyway.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(06-02-2018, 10:08 AM)MarkSingleton Wrote: Yup. Boggs tool.

http://www.boggstool.com/

Never had occasion to use them. Nice to know they are there anyway.
I've used them lots of times. Great results for very little cash. Great people there too.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I’ve used them; great results.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Just a question on the file sharpening business that was talked about.

Since it seems a lot of the great files for sharping saws are hard to come by it would seem to get them resharpened there.  Is this business able to do those files as well?

To me I would be most willing to get 4 or 5 great files for saw sharpening and then just have them sharpened.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-06-2018, 08:53 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Just a question on the file sharpening business that was talked about.

Since it seems a lot of the great files for sharping saws are hard to come by it would seem to get them resharpened there.  Is this business able to do those files as well?

To me I would be most willing to get 4 or 5 great files for saw sharpening and then just have them sharpened.

Good question Arlin.  Saw files need to be in top condition to work effectively.  They are the only files in my knowledge that don't work well after just a few sessions of use.  This makes me think that the chemical sharpening methods are not going to be sufficient to give second life to used saw files.  I hope I am wrong.  What do others know about this?
Any acid will do. Sulfuric just works quicker than a couple of hours in vinegar. I do like the idea of the baking soda neutralizer. You could also just rinse off the file with running water after the acid soak. There is a limit to how many times an acid soak will restore a file. Each soak eats away at the ridges, until at some point, the base of the ridge is too wide for the acid soak to restore it to a point.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(06-07-2018, 06:28 AM)AHill Wrote: Any acid will do.  Sulfuric just works quicker than a couple of hours in vinegar.  I do like the idea of the baking soda neutralizer.  You could also just rinse off the file with running water after the acid soak.  There is a limit to how many times an acid soak will restore a file.  Each soak eats away at the ridges, until at some point, the base of the ridge is too wide for the acid soak to restore it to a point.

+1
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset