Who's your supplier for dewaxed shellac flakes?
I'll run out of the premade stuff I bought soon and want to make my own, especially since I can't find dewaxed near me.

What supplier/brand do you guys like?
Semper fi,
Brad

(06-01-2018, 03:51 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'll run out of the premade stuff I bought soon and want to make my own, especially since I can't find dewaxed near me.

For de-waxed shellac flakes, I've used a number of online sources over the years, but most recently ordered 3 different ones from WellerMart - excellent prices and de-waxed - have mixed up a couple recently and am pleased - recommendation here a few months ago.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(06-01-2018, 03:51 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'll run out of the premade stuff I bought soon and want to make my own, especially since I can't find dewaxed near me.

You can buy SealCoat shellac, which is dewaxed, from Home Depot for $54 for 4 qts, with free delivery to your door, and $75 for 2 gallons, also with free delivery.  Link.  You can make any color you want from it by adding Transtint dye to it.  

John
That's WAY too much to buy at a time for me!
Semper fi,
Brad

(06-01-2018, 09:53 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: That's WAY too much to buy at a time for me!

Then, look at my link for smaller amounts -
Smile Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
I've used Shellac.net, Woodworker's Supply (JE Moser Brand), and Weller Mart (above). Of those I like the JE Moser stuff best sinc eit's packed in nice plastic containers...but it's also a lot more expensive. The Weller Mart stuff is very reasonable and I'll probably stay with them the next time.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I usually use Shellac.net or shellacshack.com. Price and availability usually dictates where I buy.  I don't worry too much about stability of the flakes. I have a basement shop so it is usually in the lower 60s. I have never had a problem.
(06-01-2018, 04:35 PM)giradman Wrote: For de-waxed shellac flakes, I've used a number of online sources over the years, but most recently ordered 3 different ones from WellerMart - excellent prices and de-waxed - have mixed up a couple recently and am pleased - recommendation here a few months ago.  Dave
Smile

Posted many times about WellerMart.  Their price is competitive (for flakes to mix up small batches or special runs -- at gallon quantities, SealCoat generally wins out, at least last time I ran the numbers including shipping and sales tax to my area).  And it doesn't take a very big order to bounce up over the shipping minimums.  And W.M. often has a free-shipping deal too.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I found Weller Mart on Amazon and ordered some.
Semper fi,
Brad

(06-04-2018, 01:50 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I found Weller Mart on Amazon and ordered some.

Their Amazon pricing is a bit weird.  Some are $1 less if you are ordering just 1#.  
But on the web site, you can get free shipping on orders of $49 or more.  

Blonde -- less through Amazon (1#) but garnet -- more and orange -- more through their Amazon portal.

Anywho, never had an issue ordering direct.  Usually I'd contact a few people I know from the local woodworking club and we put together a bulk order and that drives down the price even more.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin