Forgive me for I have sinned
She wanted columns in the entryway and I've been married long enough to understand how it works. The problem is this: when I turned the tops and bases, I made the tall parts out of

MDF !!! The photo is one of the tops. The bases are twice as tall.

They will get painted so I didn't want to waste my good maple, but I'm still ashamed of myself.

Attached Files Image(s)

We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
It's okay my son.  Give me 4 "Hail Norms" and one act of contrition.
If it is to be painted I can see not wasting regular wood for it..  Nice work to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I see nothing wrong with using MDF, other than if it gets wet it falls apart. I assume these are interior columns. I have a shop cabinet that I've had nearly 20 years. it was one of the first things I made when I moved into my house in 2000. It's MDF.
(06-04-2018, 07:37 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: She wanted columns in the entryway and I've been married long enough to understand how it works.  The problem is this:  when I turned the tops and bases, I made the tall parts out of

MDF !!!  The photo is one of the tops.  The bases are twice as tall.

They will get painted so I didn't want to waste my good maple, but I'm still ashamed of myself.

I prefer wood myself.
Upon looking again

is this just for looks or support?  If support I would not have it segmented but solid layers since they may blow out.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
30 years from now when someone strips it so they can get “natural” wood, they’re gonna hate you.
VH07V  
(06-07-2018, 11:32 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Upon looking again

is this just for looks or support?  If support I would not have it segmented but solid layers since they may blow out.

They are 100% cosmetic. The columns are fiberglass, the trim is segmented pine, and the base and top are segmented MDF. I ran out of flat wood so I found some scrap. I segmented parts to make them easier to turn.

If somebody wants to strip the trim in the house, they're in for a big surprise. This must have been a spec house because they took some shortcuts with doors and trim but not with structure.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Since the columns are fiberglass you get a pass on the fake wood.

I suppose your kidding... but at any rate, it looks fine, and is fine. I did the same thing on a job also.