Paean to the double square
For a long time, I didn't know why people would buy double squares instead of combination squares.  After all, a combination square gave you a 45 degree miter square, too.  But then I acquired two (4" and 6") at yard sales, and now I know.

First, the stock (handle) on a double square, at least in the 6" size, tends to be longer than that on a combo square, giving you more registration against the edge.

Second, I often find myself, in the sorts of work I do, marking off holes a set distance apart at consistent short distances from the edge, for driving screws to, say, hold a panel in place (we're not talking foine woodwork here).  With a double square, I can set the beam (rule) to the distance-from-edge and use a long rule or tape measure to make tick marks at the distances along the edge, from screw to screw.  With the double square, I can then strike a line at the tick mark to bring it to the edge, flip the square around, and mark the distance from the edge; and I've got crosshairs showing me where to drill the holes for screws.

Now that I own them, I wouldn't be without them.
I've had two for a very long time and sometimes wonder why I don't have more!  Yes, they are handier than 3' of bailing wire.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I need to try mine again, I don't dislike it, I just haven't found it much different than the combination.
(06-09-2018, 07:38 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I need to try mine again, I don't dislike it, I just haven't found it much different than the combination.
You may just do different work or use a different layout style.  I find mine right useful, but that doesn't make you wrong.
I use my double square on every project.
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I just go to my framing square when not sure.
I have a couple of them and I use them a lot. Sometimes both as I have them set for different offsets.
I use my 4" LV and 6" Starrett all the time, along with a fixed "2 Moore & Wright. Wouldn't be without them. Also, for combo squares, I find my 4" and 6" sizes far more useful than a 12", these are also Starrett.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
My 4" and 6" double squares never leave my bench. Too useful. But when your distance puts the blade near its center, you'd better be sure you know which side to mark from!

Uhoh
Big Grin
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(06-13-2018, 10:28 AM)Aram Wrote: My 4" and 6" double squares never leave my bench. Too useful. But when your distance puts the blade near its center, you'd better be sure you know which side to mark from!

Uhoh
Big Grin
Green painter's tape is my friend for remembering layout needs.  I have two adjustable bevels (among, well, many) currently set to angles I'll need for a project (trimming out a room that's been in the remodeling stages for longer than I like to admit) that's been kicked off the top ten by new projects, labeled with the angles I'll need to use when that project fights its way back to the top of the list.  The green tape is better than the blue tape for this purpose: you can read the notes, and it will remove without grief when the time comes.  Regular masking tape isn't good because it will eventually get married to the thing it's on, or dry out and fall off, neither a good thing.