Paean to the double square
I am glad you brought this up Bill.  I never thought about it and found this one that I will buy when I get a few extra $$

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-4-Precisi...B008DD1ACI

Only $16 to for a 4" and $22 for the 6" and I think both would work great.

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Premium-S...9QQTCF7TV3
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-13-2018, 12:24 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I am glad you brought this up Bill.  I never thought about it and found this one that I will buy when I get a few extra $$

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-4-Precisi...B008DD1ACI

Only $16 to for a 4" and $22 for the 6" and I think both would work great.

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Premium-S...9QQTCF7TV3

Another good source is Harry Epstein

Click on Closeouts, and click on PEC. There are usually some 4" or 6" double squares available for dirt cheap. I've had great luck with them.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
My LV 6" double square is my constant companion.

I just don't need a 45* angle so frequently that I need it built in on a really expensive square. I mean, I do have a combo square that I use a lot, but the head is bigger and bulkier, so I use it only when my double square is too small for what I need.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(06-13-2018, 12:28 PM)Aram Wrote: Another good source is Harry Epstein

Click on Closeouts, and click on PEC. There are usually some 4" or 6" double squares available for dirt cheap. I've had great luck with them.

Thanks for the link.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-14-2018, 09:25 AM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: I just don't need a 45* angle so frequently that I need it built in on a really expensive square.
And, when you do need it, a miter square (one of the more oxymoronic tool names around) is better anyway.
Hi Bill,
   (a.)  Great thread,   and  (b.) Thanks for keeping up our vocabularies by using "paean" in your posts and your replies.  I got a tickle out of your noting my "paean to the Disston Porter D100" recently.

Chris
Chris
(02-25-2019, 07:42 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: Thanks for keeping up our vocabularies by using "paean" in your posts and your replies.  I got a tickle out of your noting my "paean to the Disston Porter D100" recently.

Thanks for complimenting the thread, although, of course, my post was just the opening for the ensuing greatness from other folks.

"Paean" is a great word, really underused.  I would try "ode" next, except I'm far too rusty to write my posts in poetic form, even if the "rules" do permit odes to be written in irregular meter (although "paean" originally meant a song, so maybe I can get away with a prose ode).
I use mine all the time to check depth of dados and mortises. I also have a 2" double square (Starrett) that is handy for checking square on chisels after sharpening and checking for the (intentional) radius on narrower plane blades.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-25-2019, 10:15 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Thanks for complimenting the thread, although, of course, my post was just the opening for the ensuing greatness from other folks.

"Paean" is a great word, really underused.  I would try "ode" next, except I'm far too rusty to write my posts in poetic form, even if the "rules" do permit odes to be written in irregular meter (although "paean" originally meant a song, so maybe I can get away with a prose ode).

I avoid the entanglements of a paean for a tool. Someone never understands my exuberance, and then more picking carries on the almost odiferous criticism to a point where I question my own pleasure in the tool. Then I buy a different one that does the same thing in less admirable ways..... 

"Ode" reminds me of classical Greeks and Shakespeare. A sad and destructive story, as in: "The double square is unsquare."

I guess the modern slang for paean might be "rave"; or am I dating myself already. At least, in English there are innumerable synonyms for praise ... and, nearly every other word so trite will be held at bay another day.  

Ps. This post is simply a result of snorting coffee the wrong way.
You guys have put a smile on my face.

Woodnet is great place.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood