Would common concrete block (8x16x4) work as a patio paver?
We have a "yard" for our 2 Basset Hounds that is covered with 3/4" smooth pea grave about 3" deep.
They have been digging up mushrooms and getting sick from eating them. The mushrooms are buried
so that only a hound's excellent sense of smell finds them. I have found nothing that will kill the mushrooms.

So, I plan to put pavers on top of the pea gravel to create a "patio" of sorts where the dogs can go outside,
but not dig up the mushrooms. Will standard concrete block (16"x8"x4"-also called solid cap blocks) work as "pavers" on top of the gravel.
They are much less expensive (88 cents each) than any decent pavers we have found, and the area will be large and costly.

Any idea if the block will be durable enough for this?

Thanks!
Fred
I'm thinking that those blocks would work fine, but I would just pour a slab 3 or 4" deep and I'm pretty sure that would come out to less money per square foot and be much easier to do.
(06-11-2018, 06:54 AM)jasfrank Wrote: I'm thinking that those blocks would work fine, but I would just pour a slab 3 or 4" deep and I'm pretty sure that would come out to less money per square foot and be much easier to do.

I'd love to be able to pour a slab, but the area in totally inaccessible for a concrete pour.
(06-11-2018, 07:12 AM)frule Wrote: I'd love to be able to pour a slab, but the area in totally inaccessible for a concrete pour.

Concrete pump?
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I wonder if a layer of steel reinforcing mesh would keep them from digging down?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(06-11-2018, 01:13 PM)blackhat Wrote: I wonder if a layer of steel reinforcing mesh would keep them from digging down?

This sounds like it could work. Maybe lay the mesh down, cover with a high qualty landscape fabric, then add 2" of more pea gravel.  Your concrete block comes to about $1/sq.ft. whereas mesh, fabric, pea gravel comes to about $0.45/sq.ft.
(06-11-2018, 05:07 AM)frule Wrote: We have a "yard" for our 2 Basset Hounds that is covered with 3/4" smooth pea grave about 3" deep.
They have been digging up mushrooms and getting sick from eating them. The mushrooms are buried
so that only a hound's excellent sense of smell finds them. I have found nothing that will kill the mushrooms.

So, I plan to put pavers on top of the pea gravel to create a "patio" of sorts where the dogs can go outside,
but not dig up the mushrooms. Will standard concrete block (16"x8"x4"-also called  solid cap blocks) work as "pavers" on top of the gravel.
They are much less expensive (88 cents each) than any decent pavers we have found, and the area will be large and costly.

Any idea if the block will be durable enough for this?

Thanks!
Fred

Fred ,you can buy 2" thick by 8" x 16" .Lighter, cheaper. They are also called cap blocks or sometimes known as soap stones.
mike
Around here the 8x16x2 are called patio blocks.  Your $0.88 for the 4" ones is a good price.   Roly
(06-11-2018, 01:13 PM)blackhat Wrote: I wonder if a layer of steel reinforcing mesh would keep them from digging down?

The size of the opening would need to be small as the mushrooms aren't far under the surface. What I have seen is usually 3.5" and that would be too large an opening. I'll try to find a smaller size.

Thanks, Fred
(06-12-2018, 04:36 AM)frule Wrote: The size of the opening would need to be small as the mushrooms aren't far under the surface. What I have seen is usually 3.5" and that would be too large an opening. I'll try to find a smaller size.

Thanks, Fred

But 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth would work. I don't know how much square footage we're talking about here, so that could get a bit pricey.  Another alternative might be poultry wire netting (chicken wire).  It would corrode away in a few years, but by that time perhaps the pooches will have given up.

A number of folks who keep chickens put hardware cloth down in a four foot apron/border around chicken coops/runs and then gravel or dirt on top of that; keeps raccoons and coyotes from digging under the edge of the run to get at the poultry.