Oscillating saw blades
I need to modify a large cabinet in our kitchen to accept a double wall oven.

I will need to remove two fixed shelves that are ¾” ply so they can be affixed in different positions to accommodate the much larger double oven.

I intend to remove the shelves using my oscillating multi-tool.  I’m using the harbor freight cheapie…there’s been no killing it to this point, so we’ll see how it goes.  All of this work is on the interior of the cabinet and will be hidden by either the new oven or drawers; I’m not at all concerned about scratches.

Anyway, my question is about blades.  I’ve always used either the harbor freight blades or the cheap Performax brand found at Menard’s.

Does anybody have any recommendations for better blades that I might try, so that I’m not at this all day?   I’m going to have to cut about 100 to 160 linear inches of ¾” ply, depending on how the existing cabinet was built.   

Thanks in advance.
I have all the Imperial Blades on closeout if you're interested, the MM410 or MM450 might be a good choice for what you are doing.  They are under sawing.

https://www.holbren.com/oscillating-multi-tool-blades/
Before seeing Brian's offerings, I would recommend the Bosch blades. They have lasted quite a bit longer than the HF blades for me.
(06-13-2018, 08:08 AM)WxMan Wrote: I need to modify a large cabinet in our kitchen to accept a double wall oven.

I will need to remove two fixed shelves that are ¾” ply so they can be affixed in different positions to accommodate the much larger double oven.

I intend to remove the shelves using my oscillating multi-tool.  I’m using the harbor freight cheapie…there’s been no killing it to this point, so we’ll see how it goes.  All of this work is on the interior of the cabinet and will be hidden by either the new oven or drawers; I’m not at all concerned about scratches.

Anyway, my question is about blades.  I’ve always used either the harbor freight blades or the cheap Performax brand found at Menard’s.

Does anybody have any recommendations for better blades that I might try, so that I’m not at this all day?   I’m going to have to cut about 100 to 160 linear inches of ¾” ply, depending on how the existing cabinet was built.   

Thanks in advance.

Goodness it has been so long since you have been here or even longer that I have I talked to you in person.

Do not be a stranger, stranger.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-13-2018, 08:08 AM)WxMan Wrote: I need to modify a large cabinet in our kitchen to accept a double wall oven.

Thanks in advance.
Any of the Bi-Metal blades...Milwaukee Blades I have are Swiss made and they are first class..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-14-2018, 03:15 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Goodness it has been so long since you have been here or even longer that I have I talked to you in person.

Do not be a stranger, stranger.

Yes it has been a while, Arlin.  We had to move my Mom up into a memory care unit here in CB in early 2017.  That has been the real struggle these past 18 months.  In fact, she broke her hip yesterday and I heading into the hospital in a few minutes as her surgery is this morning.

Between Mom, my still full time job, marrying off one of the daughters, and taking care of the acreage, there's not much time for a whole lot else.  This minor kitchen redo was going to be this weekend's project to be ready for my electrician on Wednesday and then the plumber after that to run a new gas line.  Now that work is getting wedged between hospital visits and such.

Still blessed, though...

Thanks to the others well for the responses.  I'm going to have to find what I can at Lowe's today while waiting for Mom to come out of recovery.  I have to be there to pick up appliances, anyway.  You do what you gotta do, I suppose.

Thanks in advance

I have done similar work in the past. I sawed thru the middle twice , 2" or so apart .Used a circular saw til it hit the back. Then a saber saw til it hit. Finished with a a Dremel and saw blade. Then pulled the 2" center piece out of the middle. A sharp rap on the edges of the cut portion of the shelf will loosen the two pieces of shelving. Even if it's glued it will come out with a little bit of effort.
If a shelf had to be replaced I glued and nailed a 1/2" cove molding to the sides, full width on each side.
I cut a stick the length needed and used it for a prop so the molding would be at the same height.
Never had much luck drilling holes for shelf clips when cabinet was already installed. Always seemed to get one hole to low or high. I covered the dado where the shelves were with a thin batten, Would be tough if not impossible to fill the dado and make it look good.
mike
Fortunately for this project, all of the cutting will be covered up by a double wall oven; this project modifies the cabinet that contained a single wall oven to make one large opening for the double wall oven.

I cut the existing shelves out today; one of the shelves was made of veneered MDF, the weight bearing shelf with the single oven on it was particle board.  No real surprises there.

I found that the cabinet carcase was made of veneered MDF.  That led me adjust how I was going to brace the structure to bear the weight of the double oven.

The surfaces inside the cabinet are fairly well mangled, but it really doesn't matter.
I'm going to pick up a Harbor Fright oscillating saw [Chicago Tool] vari-speed. This weekend $23 - 20% = $18.40. I saw an assortment pack of 14 blades, Rigid brand, $50 at Home depot. Are they worth carrying home?

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Personally, I can't imagine cutting up to 14' of 3/4 with that tool. It would be much easier and faster using a sawzall with a 10"-12" blade and just bend the blade into the cut to make it cut flush- or even a roto-zip tool with a flush cut blade. With a little practice, you won't have anymore scars than with any other tool.

But I don't have one of those oscillating tools- perhaps it'll cut 3/4" just fine?