I need to install more smoke detectors
(06-14-2018, 12:07 PM)TDKPE Wrote: I got years from a 9V, since what I have is line voltage powered, and the battery is only a backup in case of power outage.

Hardwired units are still available, I replaced all of mine after 12 years or so; you have to rewire for a new type of connector, but no big deal.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Locally, only the 10 year type detectors are installed by the FD/Red Cross/other groups. And they print on the outside the replacement date with indelible markers.
Are those battery power with no hardwired connectors?  I want to avoid radios.
Was working on a rental home for an owner and heard the smoke alarm doing the low battery beep. I told the tenant I'd let the owner know it needs a battery. The tenant said; "That's ok, they don't work anyways- I smoked in here once and it never went off."  
Slap
The 9v units are no longer available in MD. 10 year lithium "Sealed" only and they need to be Carbon Monoxide/Smoke detectors. Every bedroom, hallway and stairwell.

From what I understand, the 10 year battery units will give you a tone when the batteries start dying or at 10 years, whichever comes first.

Here's some on Amazon Link

Some fire departments will give them to you.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I wonder if those leds would be bothersome in a bedroom. I think if it's properly on, the led is on and green
(06-16-2018, 05:32 PM)EricU Wrote: I wonder if those leds would be bothersome in a bedroom. I think if it's properly on, the led is on and green

My hardwired units have a green LED that's on when the power is on, and they don't bother anyone.  Hardly noticeable.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"