Japanese Chisels - Why?
Well, I received my first ever Japanese Chisel today.  This is what I have been looking for, it is light, takes a wicked sharp edge, and it finds the baseline with relative ease, they are also a joy to pair with.  Now I see what all the fuss was about.

I will add pics of the sharpening system I use, and the Barr Chisel of the same size for comparison;

[Image: XdAHAQXeTxGMcOzSKUMRFg.thumb.jpg.0cee044...2ce121.jpg]
[Image: hAyNjUIZQwSvAzIpXKvwuw.thumb.jpg.42a6cac...b2e499.jpg]
[Image: 1911707367_77Alv7jARcSKtdCoQ07xQ.thumb.j...cc3b2b.jpg]
[Image: 2127413680_67v0iDQ9iSGlq8HTWpJg.thumb.jp...d0e946.jpg]
[Image: fullsizeoutput_88b.thumb.jpeg.040260ab37...48267.jpeg]

Thanks to all for your input and your advice,

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(06-23-2018, 05:46 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I remember a (IIRC) a letter to the editor of FWW,  saying the same thing about St. Roy, and going further the slam Norm, saying how can anyone be a furniture maker while wearing a carpenter's tool belt?

Sometimes we forget it is the end result we are after and how we get there only matters to us during the journey.

I'm not knocking Roy's skills.  His knowledge of period woodworking is among the elite.  Just saying his preferred style and methods are different, and not necessarily associated with "fine furniture".  And that's not bad.  Far more woodworkers are making basic furniture and not Chippendale, Queen Anne, etc.  I like the guy.  I had him sign his book for me.  Taken classes from him.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill