240v Power Cord
I need to wire up a power cord for a Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer. It’s 4hp, 19amp, according the machine tag. Is there any reason I can’t use a 10/3 extension cord, cut off the ends and replace them with a NEMA 6-30 plug? The extension cords are much less expensive than buying just 10/3 wire.
Jason

It should be 300V rated or better.  And FWIW, 12-gauge cord of common construction (SO, SJO, and a host of others) with two current-carrying conductors is rated 25A.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I've noticed that a 12ga extension cord is indeed cheaper than the wire alone, and have done exactly what you suggest for my 3hp equipment; going good after 20 years...... 4hp should not make a material difference.

Oh, and by the way, TDKPE is da man on such subjects.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I did the extension cord (short) thing on my 4hp bandsaw.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020