Question about Hock Blades in Stanley Planes
(06-17-2018, 03:03 PM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: i probably should have added at the beginning of the post I have experience with hand planes and have used them for several years, I know how to tune them as well I was just curious apples to apples (Both tuned and adjust properly) is the Hock blade any better?

I get great thin shavings from the planes that I have, just wondering if I could improve upon that at all
Smile

Thanks again for all the input!

John

I have both Hock and original Stanley blades in #s 4,5 and 7 planes, plus several block planes. When properly fettled, blade to breaker mated, and well sharpened I can detect no difference in quality of shavings with either of the two brands of blades. The Hock blades to tend to last longer between sharpenings.
(06-17-2018, 03:33 PM)Sierramtns Wrote: I have both Hock and original Stanley blades in #s 4,5 and 7 planes, plus several block planes. When properly fettled, blade to breaker mated, and well sharpened I can detect no difference in quality of shavings with either of the two brands of blades. The Hock blades to tend to last longer between sharpenings.

Pretty much this.
You will notice a difference.  Upgrade the cap iron, too.

Be aware you may have an issue with the mouth needing to be filed back a bit.
Guess we all have different experiences. I can get the original plane blades and chip breakers to work just fine, however I do see an improvement with the hock blades and chip breakers.

I notice the biggest improvement with the Hock chipbreaker, So I tend to get them first, then add the blade. All of my Vintage Stanleys that get used regularly have Hock blades and CBs.

I use a collection of Stanley and LN planes. My most used plane is a vintage $20 Stanley #5 complete with white paint splatter. With the Hock blade and CB, it works just as well as my LN #4.
(06-19-2018, 01:54 PM)Scoony Wrote: Guess we all have different experiences. I can get the original plane blades and chip breakers to work just fine, however I do see an improvement with the hock blades and chip breakers.

I notice the biggest improvement with the Hock chipbreaker, So I tend to get them first, then add the blade. All of my Vintage Stanleys that get used regularly have Hock blades and CBs.

I use a collection of Stanley and LN planes. My most used plane is a vintage $20 Stanley #5 complete with white paint splatter. With the Hock blade and CB, it works just as well as my LN #4.

I was actually looking at them (Hock Sets) for my Bailey No. 4C, 5C and 7C.  I have a recently added LN 4 1/2 that my dear wife so graciously got me for my Birthday.  I do love the No 5, it takes really nice shavings and I could use that plane all day!  I do like what one poster added, that the Hock holds an edge longer.

Thanks again for all the productive and informative responses.

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Lee Valley has some nicely made irons and caps as well. I have one set in a 5 and the iron only in a Union (?) 6. Both are A2. I like them and will likely get a few more.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

It possible the chip breaker alone would make a pretty decent improvement though I have never tried it.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
(06-17-2018, 09:02 AM)bandit571 Wrote: I tend to view those thicker, "New & Improved" plane irons as nothing more than a crutch.....
Sad

The Stanley No. 4, Type 10 I have been using in most of the last projects, still has it's original iron.   As well as all the other planes in my shop.....see no reason to spend more on a cutter, than I did on the plane, simply to say  "I added brand X part and LOVE IT".  

Just bought a Millers Falls No. 900 ($4) yesterday........

Might take an hour or so to clean up.   And have it cutting see through shavings with it's "Solid Tool Steel" iron. 

YMMV....
Rolleyes

Maybe some day,  I MIGHT buy a new iron for this one....
Rolleyes 

Stanley No. 7c, Type 9  with the original iron...and..

The No. 4.....

Bandit,

I do know how to tune a hand plane to work.  This is a $2.00 Craftsman Plane taking shavings out of maple.....

[Image: IMG_2173.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2174.jpg]

With the stock Craftsman Blade and Chipbreaker

[Image: IMG_2172.jpg]

John
Yep....I also noticed on the $4 plane I just rehabbed,,,,how much thicker the "Solid Tool Steel" iron Millers Falls was using in the 1950s,  was compared to a Sargent iron from 1901...yet both can be sharpened up and work quite well...

Whether on pine cathedral grain, or  

or getting a glass smooth surface on Ash...

The weird part is..I have never had the slightest chatter from a plane made by Millers Falls.....ever.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I would never want to trust a piece of commission work to that craftsman plane as the frog looks like a third grader put it together but it can be made to be serviceable.