Jet 1840DVR
I am interested in upgrading from the 1442 and wonder if anyone has any first hand experience with DVR motors?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Bill -

I had the Nova DVR for years and was very happy with it while I had it (upgraded to the PM 3520B). The torque is great and if it has a digital speed control you can increase in 5 rpm increments. I never found the need for that level of precision in the speed adjustment, but it was there if I wanted it. The only downsides I had were that it didn’t have the heft I came to want and limited access to authorized repair in the U.S. (made in New Zealand if I remember correctly).

I have to say I prefer my 3520B because it’s a much heavier machine. I’ve been hearing good things about the Laguna Revo lathes and was able to test drive one. That said, neither the PM nor Laguna are DVR if that’s important to you.

Happy to discuss my experience with the DVR if that’s easier. Just PM me and I’ll give you my cell phone or can call you.

Good luck,

John
(06-16-2018, 02:08 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: I am interested in upgrading from the 1442 and wonder if anyone has any first hand experience with DVR motors?

The only real disadvantage to the motor is that only Teknatool makes it. Not only do Jet and Teknatool use it but Shopsmith uses it.

One of the HUGE advantages is when you turn it on, no matter what speed you were last using it at (ie 5000 rpm), it starts at 500 rpm.

No putting a huge block of wood on and tossing it across the room at 5000 rpm.

Another thing that only this motor does is stop on a catch. It does not try and power it's way through a hard catch. The motor simply stops (and stays stopped)

I think the 1840 uses the new controller, ie 10 memories and a dial for speed control
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
(06-16-2018, 02:08 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: I am interested in upgrading from the 1442 and wonder if anyone has any first hand experience with DVR motors?

I have the Nova Galaxi DVR and really like it.  No belts, no belts,  no belts!
Update:  Shortly after posting my interest, a club member put his Powermatic 3520B up for sale and I jumped on it!  Just got my 220 receptacle converted Friday afternoon and the 1-1/4" insert for my chuck less than an hour ago.  Life is good.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood