Corded or cordless drill?
I bought some auger bits that have a screw on the end to pull the bit through the wood. Pretty much all the brands have something like that now, it's really nice. I could get the 1/2" bit to work with my cordless, but it really bogged it down.  So I pulled out the 1/2" slow-speed drill, and it works much better.  Same with the auger bit with the 40" shank, that pretty much didn't work at all with my cordless drill.

So it really depends on the drill and the application.
(06-19-2018, 07:08 AM)EricU Wrote: I bought some auger bits that have a screw on the end to pull the bit through the wood. Pretty much all the brands have something like that now, it's really nice. I could get the 1/2" bit to work with my cordless, but it really bogged it down.  So I pulled out the 1/2" slow-speed drill, and it works much better.  Same with the auger bit with the 40" shank, that pretty much didn't work at all with my cordless drill.

So it really depends on the drill and the application.

Put those bits in a impact driver and they eat right through the wood.   Remember that type of bit is great for construction type work, not for cabinet making.  Roly
yeah, they make a mess.  But I generally wouldn't use an auger bit or a spade bit on anything nice anyway.

Good to know about the impact driver, I wouldn't have thought of that.
I have been seriously considering adding a regular corded drill to my tool set.  The reason is I rarely get to do much in the shop and when I do it is not for very long and it is not scheduled so I can plan ahead for battery charging. I have a corded hammer drill, corded right angle drill and a cordless Milwaukee 12v drill, driver, impact driver set. When I need them, the batteries are usually not charged and I end up using one of my corded drills which are not always convenient for regular drilling. A smallish corded drill would be handy to have.
I have 5 drills - actually I have 2 drills, an impact driver, an angle drill and a hammer drill. One of my drills is a corded drill which I use mostly with my Port-align Drill attachment. To use the Port-Align I've got to remove the drill chuck which comes off the corded drill more easily than off my DeWalt cordless drill. If I need to drill more than 20 or so holes with spade bits I may use my corded drill.

Likewise, I only use the corded angle drill for unique tasks - so unique that I can't remember the last time I used it. But hey, if I ever need a corded angle drill I've got one!

Otherwise, I have no need for a corded drill and use my cordless drill, impact driver and hammer drill about 99.9% of the time. I happen to like DeWalt 20 volt but there are a number of other choices. Don't overlook the new cordless drills offered by Harbor Freight. I bought one for my daughter (she actually asked for a cordless drill for her birthday! I'm so proud!) and it works well for her.

Have fun shopping.
Like others have said a good cordless does 99% of what you'll need.  A drill driver combo would be ideal.

If/when you need a corded drill it's likely that it's required for the additional torque. I'd recommend taking a look at a 1/2" reconditioned drill (offered by all Amazon, CPO, ToolUp, etc). I just picked up one of these to replace an ancient Craftsman to mix thin-set. Link I think at the time I paid less than $60....it has plenty of grunt I didn't care if it wasn't brand new. Although the one I got looked to be brand new anyway.
[quote pid='7634477' dateline='1529201760']

What do you guys use: corded or cordless? Which make and model?
[/quote]

Don't overthink! Get both.

The used corded drills are cheap, dirt cheap at garage sales, online, etc. as most people buy cordless drills. Easily $10 or less at a garage sale near you.

Brand name cordless drills are sold at Home Depot, Lowe's, ebay etc. with promotion prices a lot of the time.

Contrary to what some may tell you, a corded drill is indispensable in your shop as a woodworker as you will never know if your battery needs recharging in the middle of a job, or if you have a large number of big holes to drill with a spade bit. A corded drill will never die on you because of battery issue.

I know because I have three corded drills and 7 different cordless drills.

Simon
(06-19-2018, 08:56 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: [quote pid='7634477' dateline='1529201760']

What do you guys use: corded or cordless? Which make and model?

Don't overthink! Get both.

The used corded drills are cheap, dirt cheap at garage sales, online, etc. as most people buy cordless drills. Easily $10 or less at a garage sale near you.

Brand name cordless drills are sold at Home Depot, Lowe's, ebay etc. with promotion prices a lot of the time.

Contrary to what some may tell you, a corded drill is indispensable in your shop as a woodworker as you will never know if your battery needs recharging in the middle of a job, or if you have a large number of big holes to drill with a spade bit. A corded drill will never die on you because of battery issue.

I know because I have three corded drills and 7 different cordless drills.

Simon
[/quote]
I have several corded drills and other corded hand tools, but within the past week I bought a Porter Cable Cordless Recip saw, a jig saw and a right angle grinder..I already had the 20v drill with two batteries but I also bought a new 20 4AH battery...Amazon
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Corded hand tools?! Never used one. :-) :-) :-)

Simon
(06-17-2018, 06:46 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: Bosch
  Bought the 12v drill and impact gun from Amazon.Impact gun has plenty of torque and good battery life.Came with charger and 2 batteries.Love the set.

Mel

Agree on the Bosch, love mine.

Saying all that, the 18v models are the way to go.

I hardly use my 12v impact driver since I got the 18v stuff. 
Yes

To the OP, cordless first. I use mine 95% of the time. Then get a good corded either used or refurb when the need arises. There are times when a corded is the way to go, although they are not frequent for me since I have a drill press. The last time I used my coded B&D drill, it was to mix up a 5 gallon can of texture to spray on the walls.  The stuff laughed at my cordless drill....
chris