Corded or cordless drill?
(06-17-2018, 09:49 PM)EdL Wrote:  My newer batteries are holding up fine, recently bought the 12v stapler, awesome tool.

Are you talking about the newer Milwaukee batteries or another brand?
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
I got in the habit of using the fan from the corded drill to blow away any sawdust .  The battery powered drills don't have a fan.  

After drilling a hole, I would lay the drill on its side and let the forced air clear the sawdust.  

Now I have to use a compressor.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-18-2018, 12:14 AM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Are you talking about the newer Milwaukee batteries or another brand?

Newer Milwaukee.

Ed
Forget about cordless. Get a corded Milwaukee 1/2" Magnum Hole Shooter.
Wood is good. 
I've been blessed to have the benefit of time and circumstances that have allowed me to accumulate several drills.  As others have said, having both is really the best option.  There are jobs that are just better served by the use of a corded drill and of course, the convenience of a cordless drill is hard to beat.

That said, if you can only have one drill, I would go with cordless.  Probably 90+% of the time I use a drill, it's the cordless. I have a couple of the Makita 18V LiOn drills and love them.  Mine are the 1.5 Ah.  They make different models with bigger batteries, but these have suited my purposes just fine in the 4-5 years I've owned them
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(06-18-2018, 12:03 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I've been blessed to have the benefit of time and circumstances that have allowed me to accumulate several drills.  As others have said, having both is really the best option.  There are jobs that are just better served by the use of a corded drill and of course, the convenience of a cordless drill is hard to beat.

That said, if you can only have one drill, I would go with cordless.  Probably 90+% of the time I use a drill, it's the cordless. I have a couple of the Makita 18V LiOn drills and love them.  Mine are the 1.5 Ah.  They make different models with bigger batteries, but these have suited my purposes just fine in the 4-5 years I've owned them
Love cordless but corded tools are plentiful on the second hand market..no reason not to have both IMO.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-18-2018, 12:03 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I've been blessed to have the benefit of time and circumstances that have allowed me to accumulate several drills.  As others have said, having both is really the best option.  There are jobs that are just better served by the use of a corded drill and of course, the convenience of a cordless drill is hard to beat.

Do you do more in-shop related stuff or outdoor jobsite stuff? Professionally, semi-pro, or hobbyist?
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(06-18-2018, 02:55 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Do you do more in-shop related stuff or outdoor jobsite stuff? Professionally, semi-pro, or hobbyist?

As far as pocket holes I get a cleaner cut with a higher speed corded drill.   As said it is nice to have both.   But I could only get one, it would be a cordless and agree with a good 12v drill.   With the new LI batteries I have never outworked the two batteries ,recharging one faster than wearing down another one.      I have the 18v Ridgid combo, mainly for the free replacement batteries.       Roly
(06-18-2018, 03:07 PM)Roly Wrote: As far as pocket holes I get a cleaner cut with a higher speed corded drill.   As said it is nice to have both.   But I could only get one, it would be a cordless and agree with a good 12v drill.   With the new LI batteries I have never outworked the two batteries ,recharging one faster than wearing down another one.      I have the 18v Ridgid combo, mainly for the free replacement batteries.        Roly

My similar sentiments and scenario.
(06-18-2018, 02:55 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Do you do more in-shop related stuff or outdoor jobsite stuff? Professionally, semi-pro, or hobbyist?

I'm just a hobbiest, DIY/homeowner, so I get into a variety of projects, hence the need/desire to have a variety of drills.  For example, a couple weeks ago I helped my son-in-law build a pergola.  The cordless drill and impact driver were great for the smaller holes and screws, but for boring larger holes in 6x6 posts for the 1/2" carriage bolts, the corded drill was the ticket.  I also used my corded hammer drill for drilling holes in the concrete to attach the post brackets.  BTW, relevant to TW's comment about used corded drills, the one I used for the pergola project was a $10 Bosch, flea market find.

However, as I said before, 90+% of the stuff I use a drill for is shop related stuff and the cordless gets the nod there.  I'm also 58 years old.  I used to work in construction, many years ago.  I built my own house and have been dabbling in hack woodworking for 40 years, so I've had plenty of time to accumulate tools.  When I started out, corded was the only thing available.  When cordless tools first came out, I didn't jump on the bandwagon right away.  The budget didn't permit and I was skeptical of tools that had such a limited life span.  Corded tools, if good quality and taken care of, can last a lifetime.  The batteries in cordless tools will eventually need replaced, rebuilt or thrown away.  It took me a while to get over that perceived wasteful investment.  I got my first corded drill for a Christmas present and quickly realized what I was missing.  I don't own a lot of cordless tools, but the drill & impact driver are my go-to for so many things.

Sorry for the long reply, but I hope the added context was helpful.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?