What is going on
Quote:Two things:  1) No right thinking person would ever load toilet paper to go under. ONLY OVER THE TOP! 

Well now I'm offended. When our home was built in 1978 the bathrooms had nice chrome toilet paper holders that are inserted into the wall. I have since almost completely remodeled the house. I kept those nice toilet paper holders but now those new soft bigger toilet paper rolls do not work very well with the paper pulled over the top. The rolls are large enough so that the roll is pulled downward into contact with the holder, acting as a brake and the toilet paper tears in small pieces. If the paper goes under the roll is lifted slightly when pulled and there is no problem with the paper tearing prematurely.

And I've been an over the top person all my life.
Tom, you are not alone in noticing the lack of activity.  When I joined I checked at least three times every day and that was nor often enough to stay on top of things.  A couple of years ago someone speculated social media was getting the bulk of our active members.  I miss all of the good questions and great advice of "the good ole days".  We still have people who offer great ideas and posts, just not near as many.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(06-17-2018, 05:40 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Tom, you are not alone in noticing the lack of activity.  When I joined I checked at least three times every day and that was nor often enough to stay on top of things.  A couple of years ago someone speculated social media was getting the bulk of our active members.  I miss all of the good questions and great advice of "the good ole days".  We still have people who offer great ideas and posts, just not near as many.

When I started just two years after you Bill I started in turning and it was pretty active and well I was very timid back then and almost left with even a little criticism and a few guys helped me thru that and then about a year later I went upstairs to Hand tools and learned a lot more and then a lot of great guys and Cloudy who was given a Stanley 9.5 I believe added here wonderful work to it and that got me and later the vets started in hand tool.

Since then there has been several deaths and others leaving and really no discussions like HOW sharp a blade is, or Chisels that will not stand up to punishment and well a lot of others I learned about.

Now thinking about it and I do not know how I remembered about how Japanese Chisels were bad in the mid to late 80's and how I know about how they were made and quenched since I was a machinist back then.

So many friends gone and so many more that are getting terminal in how everything HAS to be there way, well it was that way back then to, but some nicer.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I guess it's time to ask those stupid questions I've been too embarrassed to ask.

Later. 

Ps. Tablesaw can't even hang on to read followup to his own topic....  "That's .....
I was posting more in the past, but a downturn in health, hopefully weather/arthritis related, has kept me out of the shop for several months.  I ghost along reading the threads that interest me, post a reply here and there, and try and beat the boredom.

Once I get back on top, I hope to be back to making my boxes, cradles, and things.  I miss working with my handtools.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I keep trying to post those build along posts here....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I can be a Denny Downer. It's not unusual to to fall into a rut and hurt more the next day. 

I took a month of PT to try and 'fix' lower back and Meralgia paresthetica. They both hurt all the time and each decides to flare up and see which can out-do the other regularly. It does help to know what is wrong, and, how to ease the pain. So, I went out and tried to clear out 4000 cf (my double garage) over the last holiday. Now my bad shoulder hurts, too.  

But I am motivated to get to work on several wood projects, some that started and were lost in the mess over the last few years. I feel good.
Regarding the delay in losing your posts to Page 2, you could go into settings and reduce the number of threads that open to you.

Just say'n. 
Smirk
This is a response.
I think WN's demise began when they went to the current software format. We lost a lot of members there. There were a lot of growing pains getting the bugs worked out. I also think in the couple of years prior to the switch, there were really strong opinions that showed up in threads, to the point where it became a personality conflict vs. a civil discussion about differences in approach. Name calling was not uncommon. That, I believe, drove a lot of folks to opt out of participating. There are other WW forums e.g. Sawmill Creek that still have pretty active participation. I'm a member of a watch forum (wrist watches) that is highly active. It's not unusual to get 10,000 views in less than a week. One long-running thread has over 680,000 views as of this morning. I never would have thought watch enthusiasts outnumbered woodworkers by that much. Then again, I use my watch far more often than I do woodworking.

I, for one, don't post that often anymore. I think I've learned about 95% of everything I need to know for most of the projects I tackle. I also recently moved and most of my stuff is in storage or in the garage, unpacked. I probably have 50 boxes in my garage and they are all marked "Tools". Now where did they put my hand saws? Which "Tools" box might that be? Frankly, there are a lot more higher priority things on my To Do List than woodworking.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill