What is going on
WN used to have thriving ... rousing ... discussions about technique, tool design and use, build discussions ... and then it petered out a few years ago. I do not believe it had anything to do with the change of software. Instead, it had more to do with the change of forum members. The forum moved from a fairly high level of expertise to members showing more interest in tools alone ... look what I got! It is expected that new woodworkers come seeking advice, and this is good, but the forum turned from the more advanced discussions into a social gathering, and those looking for meaningful content left. I came close to doing this as well, but come back to post builds in the hope that it might drive discussion. Any discussion. Sigh.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(06-20-2018, 07:55 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: WN used to have thriving ... rousing ... discussions about technique, tool design and use, build discussions ... and then it petered out a few years ago. I do not believe it had anything to do with the change of software. Instead, it had more to do with the change of forum members. The forum moved from a fairly high level of expertise to members showing more interest in tools alone ... look what I got! It is expected that new woodworkers come seeking advice, and this is good, but the forum turned from the more advanced discussions into a social gathering, and those looking for meaningful content left. I came close to doing this as well, but come back to post builds in the hope that it might drive discussion. Any discussion. Sigh.

Regards from Perth

Derek

What he said.... And I must admit that when I first arrived here 16 years ago, I was a bit green (ok, I admit I was totally green) but I do remember that the forum was TOTALLY different then.  

The reason I got into hand tools at all was because I saw the best craftsmen on here using them and then one day, Timberwolf after looking at pics of my shop asked me "where are your hand tools", sadly I admitted I didn't have many if any worth mentioning, and he sent me (free of charge) some hand tools.  A slippery slope then followed.  After a while of that I realized that if I wanted my woodworking to improve I have to learn better techniques and work habits.  It wasn't the tools it was me!

I followed the posts of guys like Bob Smalser, Derek, Dave Dinamen, and others that were frequent posters here.  These men are not only very capable woodworkers and craftsman, but they can outline and document their processes in a way that MANY could learn from.  Sadly, somewhere along the line the criticisms and petty bickering began, and many of the people we were able to learn from left, or stopped posting.  Derek, I am glad you stayed.   I might add here that the blasting usually came from people who NEVER post any pics of their work they just seem to know what is wrong with everyone else's.

I did not come here to fight and bicker I came here to learn.  There are too many self proclaimed experts on here that tear apart everything that is ever posted, and sully every post with their snide remarks, friends that is not discussion as I am sure will be pointed out by those that like to defend their condesending ways, that is antagonism.  

I too almost pulled the plug on this place, but I have made a few really good friends here and hope to make more over the remaining years that I have left.

Therefore based on the aforementioned: I believe that is what happened and that is what is going on.

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
About six years ago I got back into woodworking. Myself like most people had motorized tools, fast but not with a lot of pleasure attached. While a trip up to Cumberland KY. a man sold me a Handyman #5, and I was hooked. I do mean hooked. Got on a couple of forums and began to learn a ton about brands, type, and styles of hand tools. You folks have helped a lot. Just reading your threads is a treasure trove of Knowledge. I would like to get with someone near the upstate of South Carolina, near Clemson. I need to improve skills.

If it were not for you folks, I would not have the knowledge I have.

Thanks and please continue to share,
Joe
(06-20-2018, 02:44 PM)Joe Tilson Wrote: About six years ago I got back into woodworking. Myself like most people had motorized tools, fast but not with a lot of pleasure attached. While a trip up to Cumberland KY. a man sold me a Handyman #5, and I was hooked. I do mean hooked. Got on a couple of forums and began to learn a ton about brands, type, and styles of hand tools. You folks have helped a lot. Just reading your threads is a treasure trove of Knowledge. I would like to get with someone near the upstate of South Carolina, near Clemson. I need to improve skills.

If it were not for you folks, I would not have the knowledge I have.

Thanks and please continue to share,
Joe

That's good to hear Joe.  We old-timers forget that there is much to be learned here even though many of our forum friends have drifted away.  This is still a friendly place for the most part, and most generously share their knowledge.  As I commented before, this is still the very best place to acquire some great tools at fair prices.
Activity ebbs and flows, as do members. I think the software change had something to do with it. I'm going to make an effort to document my next build, now that I finished up my last room in the house, master bath, with two vanities. That took me years with intervening deaths in the family, wife's surgery, two surgeries for me, and just life intervening.... But all's good and I'm vertical, so every day is gravy.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Sorry to hear of your recent losses Admiral!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Norm and the NYW retired.
His replacement was not the same old shoe.
His audience was maturing....and still are.
I know he was not into hand tools.
But perhaps it was a turning point for hobbyist woodworking, and forums.

Just a thought.
Ag
I look around here about once a day. Sometimes I post, sometimes not. I think attendance declines in the summer also. I myself stay away from my basement shop if possible. I also try to keep from posting on controversial topics, and if I do, I try very hard to not step on people's toes.

If someone barks at me, I tend to leave it alone online. It's not worth the bother. Probably won't tolerate it as much in person.

I still think this is a great place to learn and bounce ideas around at. I've been doing woodworking for over 40 years, and I don't have the answers. I still like to learn.
(06-20-2018, 08:28 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: What he said.... And I must admit that when I first arrived here 16 years ago, I was a bit green (ok, I admit I was totally green) but I do remember that the forum was TOTALLY different then.  

I followed the posts of guys like Bob Smalser, Derek, Dave Dinamen, and others that were frequent posters here.  These men are not only very capable woodworkers and craftsman, but they can outline and document their processes in a way that MANY could learn from.  Sadly, somewhere along the line the criticisms and petty bickering began, and many of the people we were able to learn from left, or stopped posting.  Derek, I am glad you stayed.   I might add here that the blasting usually came from people who NEVER post any pics of their work they just seem to know what is wrong with everyone else's.

John

Yes......... I still have a number of posts of Bob Smalser's printed off... and he did leave because of certain comments made here.... by folks who are no longer here.  I do enjoy posts of build-along threads by Derek and Bandit, but I just don't have the time to get involved in discussions anymore. I am glad to have the work at my age, but I just don't have the horsepower left over anymore.

What I see is that all of the good folks with anything to say have a blog, and after writing their blog they have nothing left for the rest of us....  My good friend Bob S. (CedarSlayer) taught me most everything I know worth a *&(*& and when he started writing his blog he just disappeared ... we still email occasionally and he still logs on here occasionally, but the old fire is gone...  I agree that almost no ones else posts build-alongs anymore except Derek and Bandit... 10 years ago we all did - all with photos, each and everyone of us....  At least they have the new attach photos now......
Skip

I read another hobby forum that is tech-related, and the people there have recently made similar comments about traffic being extremely slow around that forum.  Politics are creating a big distraction and could be sucking energy out of free-time activities.